Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

I told my son the planet is filled with different colored people, just like there are different colored birds, and wouldn't it be a boring place if there were only sparrows.

Last edited by Fleck750; 03-21-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

We just went over this in my psych class. I was surprised how early kids pick up on this, but I guess I really shouldn't be. Describing people as yellow, brown, light brown, etc is a significant jump in mental age. Just sitting them down and telling them straight that there are different colored people was identified as the best way to go about it, as you guys are saying. I wish I could remember more details, but I must have started day dreaming soon after that was said. My book is right over there... but.. eh..
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
I grew up in a rural part of southwest New Hampshire....very conservative...very white. I was probably 10...maybe 11...before I ever saw a black person "in person." I remember tugging my Mom's sleeve and telling her "Mom!! Look!! His skin is black!" She, of course, was mortified and apologized to the man....then took me aside and asked me "what color was the wrapping paper on your favorite present last Christmas?" I told her I didn't know....she asked "Well, what WAS your favorite present last Christmas?" I told her the Evil Kneivel motorcycle stunt set....she said skin color was just like wrapping paper...superficial...easily forgotten...it was what was INSIDE a person that matter.ed..and was what you would remember.

That was 30 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.
This brought a tear to my eye. Your mom is brilliant for finding such a wonderful way to put things in a manner that a child would understand so well.

I applaud her, and only wish that more parents could hear this story.

I think many people could learn from it. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
I grew up in a rural part of southwest New Hampshire....very conservative...very white. I was probably 10...maybe 11...before I ever saw a black person "in person." I remember tugging my Mom's sleeve and telling her "Mom!! Look!! His skin is black!" She, of course, was mortified and apologized to the man....then took me aside and asked me "what color was the wrapping paper on your favorite present last Christmas?" I told her I didn't know....she asked "Well, what WAS your favorite present last Christmas?" I told her the Evil Kneivel motorcycle stunt set....she said skin color was just like wrapping paper...superficial...easily forgotten...it was what was INSIDE a person that matter.ed..and was what you would remember.

That was 30 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.
Holy shit, if I ever have kids I hope I am smart enough to teach my kids that way. That is amazing.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
This brought a tear to my eye. Your mom is brilliant for finding such a wonderful way to put things in a manner that a child would understand so well.

I applaud her, and only wish that more parents could hear this story.

I think many people could learn from it. Thanks for sharing it with us.
I agree it is a great way to look at it.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #16
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post

Kids...gotta love'em!
Little kids are brutally honest too. If some small child tells you that you're fat and ugly, you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I agree it is a great way to look at it.

James
Very true

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote