Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Southeast Riders > Florida Riders

Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
FuryThree
Now sans Quattro!

Moto: 2008 Triumph Daytona 675

so anyone know any specific shops that do it.
FuryThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Phil View Post
Not recommended for sport bike tires.
From Dunlop,

Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an innertube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair.

Only a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle tire dealer should perform repairs. Inspection of the tire and adequacy of repair becomes the responsibility of the person actually performing the repair and Dunlop does not warrant the results of a repair in any way. Combination patch/plug repair kits for use by the repair shop or dealer are available with accompanying instructions from companies such as:

Remarco Inc.
200 Paris Ave.
Northvale, NJ 07647
(201) 768-8100

Technical Rubber Co.
P.O. Box 486
Johnstown, OH 43031
(740) 967-9015

Tip-Top/Moto Combi Kit

Tech Uni-SealĀ® Repair Kit (Also has been marketed by Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha with their own part numbers.)

NOTE: There may be suitable repair kits and materials provided by manufacturers other than those listed above.

Before any repair should be attempted, however, a tire must be removed from the wheel and thoroughly inspected. The following are minimum guidelines for the repairer:

Tires should not be repaired if any of the following conditions exist:

1. A tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer.
2. The puncture is larger than 6mm (1/4") in diameter.
3. The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass.
4. The puncture is in the tire sidewall.
5. Separation of plies, tread separation, separation of any other components.
6. Cut or broken ply cords.
7. Broken or damaged bead wires.
8. Cut or damaged chafers (bead area).
9. Deterioration of the carcass inside the tire due to "run flat" or underinflation.
10. Cracks or other damage to the integrity of the inner liner.
11. Excessive wear - tire should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread depth, excluding tread wear indicators.
12. Cracks in sidewall or tread.
13. Impact breaks, cuts, snags or gouges that penetrate the surface.

NOTE:

1. There should be no more than one repair in any quarter of the tire and no more than two repairs per tire.
2. The wheel itself must be in good condition. Any cracked or bent wheel, however slightly, may allow the loss of air and cause subsequent deflation of the tire.
3. Following repair, the valve assembly should be replaced and the tire/wheel rebalanced.
4. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair.

In summary, NO form of temporary repair should be attempted. Motorcycle tire repairs leave no room for error and any doubt as to inspection or adequacy of repair should be resolved by discarding the tire.

Be sure to consult our Motorcycle Tire Limited Warranty, Care and Maintenance brochure for additional information regarding the use of Dunlop tires. Seek a qualified motorcycle tire repair center for more details. NEVER ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A DAMAGED TIRE WITHOUT THE AIDE OF AN EXPERIENCED TIRE MECHANIC.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryThree View Post
so anyone know any specific shops that do it.

If you bring the tire in off the rim,a lot of car tire places will do the repair. Some can even get the tire off the rim for you. Most cycle shops won't do the repair citing "liability" but I have ridden on many plugged tires and have seen them used and have never seen a failure.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #14
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOZ View Post
sometimes you just dont have $$$ to get a new tire so you gotta do what you gotta do
hey that's cool - if you life is only worth $5 to repair a tire go for it - just drop your insurance just before you ride on the plugged tire on the street so you don't jack my rates up when you become a fucking statistic.. if you don't have the $$$ then don't fucking ride.. imo plugging a motorcycle tire is fucking stupid..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #15
JARVIS518
BOOBS!!

Moto: 06 CBR 600RR

does anyone have any first hand experience with a plug not working?
JARVIS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

Nope, I have had a few a few years ago. never ad an issue.

Leon won't let me ride with one now though....But he's OCD about my tires and their condition

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

I've ridden with plugged tires before (picked up a screw with 10 miles on a new set of Pilot Powers... plugged it out of spite). But I have seen them fail first-hand, more than once. One time was on a drawbridge, about the last place I'd ever want to drop a bike and hit the "ground".
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
LOZ
clutch it up bitches!

Moto: Honda CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
hey that's cool - if you life is only worth $5 to repair a tire go for it - just drop your insurance just before you ride on the plugged tire on the street so you don't jack my rates up when you become a fucking statistic.. if you don't have the $$$ then don't fucking ride.. imo plugging a motorcycle tire is fucking stupid..
LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I've ridden with plugged tires before (picked up a screw with 10 miles on a new set of Pilot Powers... plugged it out of spite). But I have seen them fail first-hand, more than once. One time was on a drawbridge, about the last place I'd ever want to drop a bike and hit the "ground".
You've seen a tire fail after using a proper inner patch/plug? Or are you talking about those from the outside tire plug kits that clearly state that they are for "temporary/emergency use only"? I have never even heard of a patch failing on a semi-truck tire much less a motorcycle tire. Plus the worst case scenario is that the tire goes flat again not that it explodes or something.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #20
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
You've seen a tire fail after using a proper inner patch/plug? Or are you talking about those from the outside tire plug kits that clearly state that they are for "temporary/emergency use only"? I have never even heard of a patch failing on a semi-truck tire much less a motorcycle tire. Plus the worst case scenario is that the tire goes flat again not that it explodes or something.
No, that's why I only said plug. The kind you slather with glue and use a roughed up T-handle tool to insert, then clip the excess material off.

I've never seen a properly patched tire fail.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote