Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 11-17-2008, 04:15 AM   #11
fun-times-always
Squid

Moto: 2004 R1

good deal, tom morning i will check it out in daylight. thanks for everyones help on this
fun-times-always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
and FYI, high pressure water and bikes aren't the best combo in the world.
werd.

And if you must take a hose to your bike, get those plugs for your exhaust (they sell them at Cycle Gear and most dealerships).
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOZ View Post
this is very good info. it means that there is a leak. you shouldnt be smelling anything else besides exhaust fumes... so if you smell burnt up coolant then there must be a crack on one of the hoses. sometimes the crack is so small that it wont leak unless the coolant inside is under a lot of pressure, in other words, really hot. and that is why it only overheats when you go passed 3Krpm.

also check the radiator itself, it could be cracked as well. I had a similar situation when I bought my truck. all the hoses were fine, but the radiator has a small crack at the bottom on the right side, that was almost impossible to spot....

you might want to take off your radiator and check it manually. then plug it and run water through it to see if you can spot it coming out anywhere...

spotting a leak on a bike shouldnt be too hard. just take off the plastics, have somebody hold the throttle over 3Krpm and wait till you start smelling the burn, then carefully look at all the hoses. use something to move the hoses around, so you dont burn yourself.

hope this helps.

-Loz
good advice all around. It's an '04 with only 5k on it? How long did it (notice I didn't say "Did it sit" - with such low mileage the thing must have sat for a while)? Original hoses? Hoses crack over time, especially if the bike sits. The sudden temp change from running temp to cold from the wash may have been too much for the hoses to take.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #14
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun-times-always View Post
... it has ran just fine the entire time i have owned it, but after washing it, it was overheating on the way home bad. i stoped a couple of times just to get it 15 miles. the light comes on, on the dash...
Is it really overheating, or has water shorted the temp switch? I remember that some Kawasaki's would run terrible in the rain. Water was getting into the sparkplug tunnels and shorting out the spark. They fixed it by keeping the water out of there. Maybe find your temp sensor and clean the contact wire.

If your R1 was mine, I would want to know what's the real temp of the engine. Either check the temp of the oil, or borrow or buy one of those digital laser guns that can tell you the temp. I think they're only around $50 now. That would be a fun tool.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I'm kinda with NW on this.

I think its purely electrical. Either the temp display is in-accurately reading or maybe the fan switch is fubar. Does the fan come on at all?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #16
was92v
Nowhere Man

This is a little off the wall, but you may want to check you radiator fins to make sure that the Hi Pressure spray didn't fold the outside edges down, blocking airflow. If they are, a small wooden dowel can be used to open them up. Probably not the problem, but easy to look for and easy to fix (gently).
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #17
fun-times-always
Squid

UPDATE
took all the plastic off and checked it out. well i found the problem. The hose on the left top side that runs to a solid pipe which leads to the block, where the hose and the pipe meet is kinked and the hose will not fit secure over it. there is no way to replace that pipe either, or at least a simple fix. i figure i will try to make it a circular as possible and run some epoxy on it, as the gap is a hairline. not sure what else may work, an extra clamp and jb weld perhaps
Old 11-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #18
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

so wait... your saying the metal pipe is kinked? I'd double check that that's your problem... cause unless you're using some new car wash I've never seen the pressure isn't enough to bend a pipe

is the pipe on your radiator?

can you provide pics?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 AM   #19
fun-times-always
Squid

no the pipe isnt off the radiator, there is a rubber hose between this pipe and the radiator. i can get pics tom off cell phone to show, but its a solid pipe that runs next to kickstand, as thats the best i can describe it offhand, its a small kink on the bottom, i have no idea how it got there, the only explaination i can offer is perhaps i got a little spray happy and it budged the hose just off that kink and left a fine crack which was probably covered up. i really hope my fixit idea works, cause im not pulling that engine out. i put some money into that bike, but what a PITA, makes me wanna trade or sell for more car stuff sometimes
Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 AM   #20
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

so it's the motorside... damn for the life of me I can't find a pic of the 04 R1 with out it's fairings showing the left side.

we have a few R1 owners... they may be able to help you figure out if something is wrong... I know I've seen several things when work'n on motors that look like they're bent or tweaked only to find they're made that way...

the only reason I say this is cause unless it's just a complete coincidence... I don't think the water pressure would cause that...

Last edited by Mr Lefty; 11-18-2008 at 01:13 AM..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote