Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Ya'll do know that when someone means "pass right," they mean passing on the right shoulder. I've NEVER heard someone say not to pass on the "right lane."
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #12
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Ya'll do know that when someone means "pass right," they mean passing on the right shoulder. I've NEVER heard someone say not to pass on the "right lane."
Just because you never heard it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've heard it plenty. (Yes, the right lane.)
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

I pass between lanes so what do I care.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I understood why the guy did what he did. You were coming up behind him probably faster, he tried to move over, but you moved over first and nearly collided.

Next time, wait a little longer in the left lane to let him know you are there, then pass on the right if he doesn't move over. In CA, I'll just pass the guy in his own lane, but I'll move over to the passenger side to let him know I'm there so he doesn't turn to the right thinking I'm waiting for him to move.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #15
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

When he said that you shouldnt pass in the right lanes, you should have responded with, "Well then get the fuck out of the left lane DUMBASS!"

Old 06-30-2011, 01:44 AM   #16
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Alright. Listen. Germany, the Autobahn was mentioned.

Let's talk proper road etiquette.

First off, Slice, you're right. People's ego is a bitch, and getting them to move over is not easy...BUT...if you use proper etiquette, you'll find you do a lot better in this respect.

When coming up on slower traffic, PUT ON YOUR LEFT SIGNAL. Don't high beam people, it makes them more likely to take offense.

It's actually ILLEGAL to high beam anyone on the Autobahn. The correct action is to use the left turn signal (although, those with supercars often give a light tap on the highs anyway, as their closing speed is FUCKING SILLY).

If you have your signal on as you come up from behind, you give them a chance to move over, and you signal your intent to pass on the left (AS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO).

If after arriving behind the vehicle, you find that they haven't moved over, you change your indicator to a RIGHT SIGNAL, and pass on the right (which is wrong, but is the closest you'll ever come in real life to two wrongs making a right).
Old 06-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #17
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
it is but cops need to put effort into enforcing it, its easier sitting on the side of the highwaywith a radar gun to generate revenue
That's because the police are not there to facilitate smooth, safe traffic flow. They're there to slow traffic down.

As for passing on the right, it may not be legally correct, but it is an obvious necessity since we (as in, citizens) can't force slower traffic to move out of the left hand lane and cops don't often bother with such things.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Alright. Listen. Germany, the Autobahn was mentioned.

Let's talk proper road etiquette.

First off, Slice, you're right. People's ego is a bitch, and getting them to move over is not easy...BUT...if you use proper etiquette, you'll find you do a lot better in this respect.

When coming up on slower traffic, PUT ON YOUR LEFT SIGNAL. Don't high beam people, it makes them more likely to take offense.

It's actually ILLEGAL to high beam anyone on the Autobahn. The correct action is to use the left turn signal (although, those with supercars often give a light tap on the highs anyway, as their closing speed is FUCKING SILLY).

If you have your signal on as you come up from behind, you give them a chance to move over, and you signal your intent to pass on the left (AS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO).

If after arriving behind the vehicle, you find that they haven't moved over, you change your indicator to a RIGHT SIGNAL, and pass on the right (which is wrong, but is the closest you'll ever come in real life to two wrongs making a right).
I've tried this. Unfortunately people, in North America, either don't have a bloody clue what the left flasher in the left lane means, or they just don't give a damn. I have more luck with them mistaking me for a police vehicle if I throw on the hazard lights, since I'm in a hi-viz Aerostich jacket.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #19
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I've tried this. Unfortunately people, in North America, either don't have a bloody clue what the left flasher in the left lane means, or they just don't give a damn. I have more luck with them mistaking me for a police vehicle if I throw on the hazard lights, since I'm in a hi-viz Aerostich jacket.
Exactly why I never finished the rattlecan stripes on the buick. Thing looked like an old cruiser and no one wanted to take the chance.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I pass in any lane. Fuck left lane drivers.
This. 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I understood why the guy did what he did. You were coming up behind him probably faster, he tried to move over, but you moved over first and nearly collided.

Next time, wait a little longer in the left lane to let him know you are there, then pass on the right if he doesn't move over. In CA, I'll just pass the guy in his own lane, but I'll move over to the passenger side to let him know I'm there so he doesn't turn to the right thinking I'm waiting for him to move.

Seriously dude? Are you for real? The dude shouldnt have been in the left lane in the first place, especially if there are 2 lanes for the same direction of traffic. Left lane is for passing only. If he was cruising along in the left lane he should have moved well before he almost ran Grex over. Why the hell should Grex or anyone else need to wait on some asshole in the left lane to decide what HE wants to do when they are traveling at a higher rate of speed and can easily and safely pass if the other guy isnt a douchebag? It's not like its not hard to see a vehicle coming up behind you is traveling at a higher rate of speed (unless you arent paying attention to the road in thefirst place). If he waited till Grex was passing him to decide he shouldnt be driving in the PASSING lane, he's in the wrong for not paying attention to fellow traffic.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote