Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

The war on drugs is what perpetuates this.

Stop just that, and it all falls away.

It's just one thing, but it's a big thing, and there's a lot of interest in keeping the gravy train rolling the way it is.

People can affect this change, and they can stop this, but it has to be made a priority...and while most people agree it should be done, not many care enough to fight for it.

Perhaps it's OK, as soon enough everyone will have a loved one swept up in the system, and MAYBE then they'll care enough to rally for change.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
The war on drugs is what perpetuates this.

Stop just that, and it all falls away.

It's just one thing, but it's a big thing, and there's a lot of interest in keeping the gravy train rolling the way it is.

People can affect this change, and they can stop this, but it has to be made a priority...and while most people agree it should be done, not many care enough to fight for it.

Perhaps it's OK, as soon enough everyone will have a loved one swept up in the system, and MAYBE then they'll care enough to rally for change.
Nah, Americans care more about Survivor and American Idol
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Imprisoning people for lesser crimes is a waste of public funds.
Bring back the stocks! Serve a few sessions in there and go on about your damn business (albeit, a little sore and smelling of rotten fruits & vegetables)

Last edited by Adeptus_Minor; 05-18-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Adeptus_Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
That's where it starts I'm sure. Then as the companies that run those jails make more money and gain more power they start building larger prisons and using their union influences to ensure laws are passed (anti-marijuana laws in Canada for example) that fills those prisons with bodies.

I'm only speculating, I have no real knowledge of Canada's system and if they have private prisons or not.

Our 'Anti-Marijuana laws' arent as strict as yours by any means though. Possession is a small fine (230$), and generally selling pot will net you probation. Its not the same up here as being caught selling hard drugs.

My friend Patrick was caught last year with 4 pounds in his car. He got 3 years probation, and a little over a thousand dollars in fines. Down in your neck of the woods, im guessing 4 pounds would get you a lengthy prison sentence.

Dont get me wrong, I still think that even that is too much, but our laws are nowhere near as strict as yours (yet). Hell, even first degree murder is only a 25 year sentence (with exceptions for those who will always be a danger to society), which is whats considered 'life' in Canada. Unlike down there, there is a chance you'll get out to see daylight agaiun fort even the most heinous crimes.

Dont get me wrong, I totally agree with your original post in this thread. Shit has gotten completely out of hand down there, and are starting to get worst here.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.

Last edited by Apoc; 05-18-2011 at 09:08 PM..
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Our 'Anti-Marijuana laws' arent as strict as yours by any means though. Possession is a small fine (230$), and generally selling pot will net you probation. Its not the same up here as being caught selling hard drugs.
That's all changing my friend, the U.S. has been putting heavy pressure on Canada to begin using mandatory minimums in regard to marijuana laws. Stiffer fines and jail/prison times are on the way for you guys as well.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
That's all changing my friend, the U.S. has been putting heavy pressure on Canada to begin using mandatory minimums in regard to marijuana laws. Stiffer fines and jail/prison times are on the way for you guys as well.
And, as I've commented in other threads, our Conservative government is only happy to oblige them. This is where I diverge, significantly, from the 'social' conservatives. I believe that you don't do something, for no more than ideological reasons, that runs counter to the professed dictates of your political stance. We don't spend a whole lot on prisons because we DON'T HAVE TO spend a whole lot on prisons. Changing things, in a way that alters that by making hardened criminals out of those who otherwise would not be, is (to coin a phrase) FUCKING IDIOTIC!

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote