Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i used to work at Honda of Troy/ Yamaha of Troy when we had Chad Reed and I was racing quads and hanging out with the race team, it was a blast.

I can say that at the time the people in finance made ridiculous bank, but that was at one of the largest dealers at the time...

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #12
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Yeah, 2 1/2 yrs until mid Dec last year...unless it's a huge and constanyle busy dealership, you will make no more than you base salary and they will let you go if you don't sell "enough" backend to suit them, wether or not anyone could sell it to the same given customers. The market (due to the economy) is too dead to expect all the commission they're telling you you can make, I heard the same thing in 08 before the banks crashed. Do I sound jaded? Unfortunately that really is pretty much the way 98% of the dealerships out there are run. If you find one of the 2%, that's awesome and you'll have a blast and maybe make decent money. Too many of the dealers are taking on "car sales" tactics and they don't realize that doesn't work in the powersports industry except in rare cases, but that's all they want to look at. Every dealership in my area is a revolving door of employees, either quit or fired. My best piecec of advice...start looking for your next job now, but try to enjoy what you can out of your experiance while you're there. Good luck!!
Not a huge dealer, its their third location. One is a salvage dealer. Ever heard of Cycle Search on the internet. That's them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Are you going to be the one to give out the free rim jobs with every moto sale?
No, just bike stickers and kick stand thingies. Might consider if its a hottie that wants a bike tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
How much we talkin here? I think they fire the higher paid employees so they can hire the fresh outta school people for cheap.

Alot of motorcycle dealers closed...and people still are really not buying shit anymore.

Good luck.
Not alot. Like 22-25K base. But dude im only making 8.40 an hour as a keyholding manager at Casual Male XL in my 3rd year. Im the hardest working assistant in the columbus area, travel between 5 stores (with keys to all of them), and get paid shit. Im just tired of working for nothing.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 AM   #13
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

22k-25k base isnt bad for OH nowadays.... just saying...

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #14
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

congrats on the job. if nothing else at least you get to work around bikes. 22-25 isn't bad for starting out.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #15
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
I can say that at the time the people in finance made ridiculous bank, but that was at one of the largest dealers at the time...
Yep.

In a good dealer the F&I guys can make more than anybody else in the entire dealer (including the GM).

Congrats on the job, Porkchop. Plan your living expenses on your base salary and bank any commissions, and you'll be set!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
AquaPython
put it THIS way

welcome to the rat race!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #17
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Wow, I completely forgot about this thread. So..... I turned the job down. Just was a little uneasy about how new and small the dealership was. Me and my mom clashed about it a bit, but she was worried about slow times. So I waited a bit, and I'm glad I did. But now I'm in a perdiciment because I got 2 job offers within 2 days.

The first job is a real estate management position. I'd be in control of 57 properties currently... with the plan to go larger scale down the road with rental properties in florida, and large scale apartment complexes. It's an independant position, so I'd have my own office in my own building, calling the shots. Pay right off the bat is fanfuckingtastic, especially for a 22 yr old. Medical insurance and such. The best part is this job is guarenteed, and the big boss is my dad's best friend, who I consider my mentor.

The second job is part of my dream job. Its an agent position at one of the premeir talent agencies in ohio. Initial thoughts were I'd have to move to Cinci, but I just found out its the Columbus agent thats leaving. Perks include company phone, company laptop, my own office, free screening to every movie before it comes out to the general public, free access to concerts and shows, and rich clients that will give you cool shit. Trips to NY and LA for movie red carpet movie premeirs. And you get to work with alot of powerful famous people. Office hours are only 10:30-5, but you have to be on call at all times. The only problem is starting pay sucks until you become established with a client list. The big boss figured only $11-12 a hour the first year, which completely blows.

So do I take the solid deal with the big bucks? Or do I take the dream job with all the perks, and the money later on???
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold

Last edited by Porkchop; 04-07-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #18
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

^^^Date the women with the biggest tits if you know what I mean.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Glad I reread this thread, I was thinking of applying at a dealership not far from here because I hate my current job.

Selling bikes won't be any harder than selling liquid gold. But it's pretty stable where I'm at and no money means no riding if they let me go within months.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
AquaPython
put it THIS way

I have been in your "predicament" twice in the last 6 months. Or maybe it was a little different. Did they both actually offer the job or are you still in the interviewing process that just seems promising?