Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Thanks everyone!

Some answers;

She's a redneck, her grand pa was Chief of Police and she has fired rifles and hand guns her whole life. FWIW he carried a Glock for most of his law enforcement career. She's fired the Glock on several occasions but never the "C" model, hence the question about the "C" model...

She wants a "mid-size" handgun for target practice and will probably never own a larger caliber hand gun. I'm trying to convince her to go to a wheel gun for cc. My opinion has always been, 9mm for target, 357 for cc and 12 ga for home defense. Nothing says "GET OUT!!!" like the cocking of a shot gun imho.

Small handguns can be a problem for target practice because they are so light, more of the recoil is transmitted to the hand/wrist. I personally believe that the 9mm/.380 size is perfect for target practice because of it's relatively light recoil and accuracy.

I actually never asked for opinions about "what caliber she should buy?", "what brands do you like?", "what's an economical target ammo?", etc... I was just wondering if any of you had fired the "C". I hear that it is exceptionally loud and that some shooters have problems at night because of the "flares"...

BTW... checked ammo and knew that the 22 was cheaper but as Derf has said the 9mm can cover several roles. It's a great target gun, it can be used for home defense and the Glock isn't a terrible size for cc in shoulder holster imho. FWIW this isn't her first time to the rodeo, her grandpa gave all the grand kids rifles last Christmas...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontwo View Post
I agree with Bonesaw. Let her learn to shoot first.
Who said she can't shoot? She out scored everyone at her last skeet shooting class.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
First off, the Compensated model SUCKS. They just add more flash around the sights and blind the shooter of a good continuous sight picture. I worked security for a number of years and carried the Glock 22 Service size .40. I now carry concealed my Glock 23 which is the midsize .40. I recommend a pistol that will fit her hand. If she is like my wife and has small feminine hands then get her a nice small carry pistol. Lots out there. I bought the wife a nice little Bersa .380. Yeah, its a small round but it doesn't kick that much, and when you put two in the chest and one in the head, small rounds still put holes in flesh. Add into the mix a hydroshock round and you get a little more damage.
If you are looking for cost effectiveness then go with a Glock such as the
.380 version G25 compact or the G28 Subcompact. Kel-Tek p32 is nice and compact as well, small enough to fit a grown mans front pocket.
The other thing to consider as well is how will the pistol be carried? Holstered in her back? In her purse?
Refer here to help you decide http://www.idpa.com/

Sigh.... She wants it for target practice but I admit she might want to carry it once her CC permit comes through, applied a few weeks ago. Doubt it as she is eyeballing a pink handled Taurus for CC. I'm a firm believer in wheel guns for pp/cc and will gladly argue the point with anyone. I know what "most cops carry" but my GF is unlikely to get into prolonged gun fights, so I'm sure that 5 will do. My GF is 6' tall and can easily handle a 9mm thanks. Most likely the gun will be carried in the case to our friends property or the gun range. I might get her a pink shoulder holster for fun, though.

Thanks for the info on the "C" model though. I had heard this can be a problem in low light situations. I honestly don't see this as a problem considering the gun's intended use but it's good information to have.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesaw View Post
I would go with a .22 for target practice/plinking. Your wallet will thank you, and she will get used to actually using a firearm correctly so that when she moves up to a .45, it won't be a shocker.
She knows how to shoot and won't be getting a 45...what ever for?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Don't know much about the "c" model. Hubby has a regular 19 that is pretty nice.

If you have the time, take her to the range to shoot various guns. Being a female I find guns with contoured grips for your fingers tend to not fit my hands very well. Maybe she won't have this problem but for me it makes it less comfortable to shoot.
She goes to the range and has her cc pending. She likes the Glock, I personally like the S&W...
Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

hell id be trying to dig up a makarov
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #17
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
hell id be trying to dig up a makarov
I vote for makarov as well. Great cheap starter handgun.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #18
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
I vote for makarov as well. Great cheap starter handgun.
great budget carry that fits smaller hands too. my russian mak has been on home defense duty since victoria moved in
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #19
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
She goes to the range and has her cc pending. She likes the Glock, I personally like the S&W...
I had a S&W 45. That POS was only good for shooting around the broad side of a barn.

I'm not a fan of Glock and I think for a lot of women they are not a great choice. First off Glocks have wide grips on them which women with smaller grips don't like. Also I just can't stand their plastic feel but that is me. I like steel frames and am more of a revolver guy.

Now one my GF shot and liked was the Springfield XD9. I shot it, liked it a lot, and found it to be very accurate. If you get the compact XD9 then you can buy a clip extension which will give it a full grip.

Kahr seemed to be another great choice that my GF really liked.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #20
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I have a Kahr 9mm and a Taurus 9mm. I like both of them.

Amber Lamps...weren't you the one getting into debates with everyone that had CC permits at the rally 2 years ago saying they aren't necessary and why should anyone carry? Funny how things change. One of my old riding buddys was held up at gunpoint in his own home and beaten/robbed just the other night. Very sad.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote