Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I have a full size Springfield GI model in stainless. I have no complaints. I haven't tracked it but I would guess I have around 4-5,000 rounds through it. The only problem I have had was the tip of the extractor broke off. Springfield has a lifetime warranty so I called and told them about it, they emailed me a prepaid FedEx overnight label, fixed it, and shipped it back all at no charge. Turn around time was about a week and a half.

My only regret with the gun is I should have got the Mil-Spec model instead of the GI. The GI sights are blacked out and it is difficult to aim without bright lighting while the Mil-Spec has three dot sights. The Mil-Spec also has a lowered and flared ejection port. Without that the GI mostly sends empty shell casings directly over my head. The rest of the time it sends them in to my forehead, behind my safety glasses, down my shirt, and various other places. The extra charge for the Mil-Spec is worth it if for no other reason than to avoid dancing around like an idiot to get a hot shell casing out of your shirt.
perfect review, that was the version i was going to look at. think i'll look at the mil spec instead. i am a lousy dancer. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
perfect review, that was the version i was going to look at. think i'll look at the mil spec instead. i am a lousy dancer. LOL
No problem. I like the plain look of the GI but there is a tradeoff in functionality, one I wouldn't make again. I didn't mention actually shooting but in that respect I have been very pleased with it. No problems with feeding or ejecting any of the ammo I have used (mostly Winchester White Box and Remington UMC, both standard FMJ). It is a lot more accurate than I am as well. I don't regret getting the Springer over a Colt or Kimber and the difference in price paid for 1,000+ rounds of ammo.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

New Kimbers are a crap shoot. You may get a good one or it may have to go back for work to get it right. An older Kimber are fitted better, they seem to have gotten too popular and the quality has suffered.

The only Colt 1911 I'd own would be a series 70 or earlier. You seem to be paying more for the name than the quality.

I own a Springfield 1911-A1 in .45 acp. I purchased the what they now sell as the GI model ( parkerized ) and had some work done. Trigger ( set at 4.5 lbs ), sear, hammer, springs, mag well chamfered, ejection port relieved and a new fitted barrel bushing. I was going to have the slide matched to the frame but my gunsmith said it was tight enough and to save the money. I also added Pacmayr wrap around grips.

It's my primary carry weapon. That's how confident I am in Springfield
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

I love my springfield never had a problem

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I shot a few Kimbers and weren't impressed with them, especially for how much they cost. Never shot a 1911 Springfield, but their other guns are very nice and are on my wish list. I own a Colt, but only for looks.

I'd say go shoot and make your decision then.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

I had a SS Springer 1911a1 MilSpec, nice gun. IMO, Kimber, Colt and SA quality 1911's are all just about equal. They all had the Mil contract at one time or another. From what I have seen, SA's 1911's are priced a bit lower than similar Colts and Kimbers.
What I would like is a Colt .38 Super nickel plated 1911
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Can't say that I'm impressed by any of these choices, but then I can't stand M1911s anyway.

Though I didn't turn down the $350 for a Parkerized Loaded. It'll worth a lot more than that comes tradin' time.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post

Though I didn't turn down the $350 for a Parkerized Loaded. It'll be worth a lot more than that comes tradin' time.
Ya think?! Holy shit, dude. Compared to MSRP, that's a steal at twice the price.
Why don't deals like that ever come my way*?

*when I have the cash to actually act on them
Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Ya think?! Holy shit, dude. Compared to MSRP, that's a steal at twice the price.
Why don't deals like that ever come my way*

Deals like that don't come my way all that often either. I'd dare say this is the second time in twenty-something years.

I got a SW Gunsite for $400 some years back. Once again, can't stand the M1911 platform, but for the price I figured what the fuck. I'd keep that gun though just so that I can talk shit about M1911s AND it does have the cool Raven.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Why don't deals like that ever come my way*?

I'm with you there. I see them all the time and usually am just short of having the cash to do it which makes it shitty. The Dixie Chicks could be giving away blow jobs for $10 but I'll only have $9.95.