Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Thats the thing, a blowout preventer stack failing is unheard of. As horrible as the spill is, its a circumstance which really hasnt come up before. On a single derrick land drilling well, a BOP stack has 3 seperate defense mechanisms. I have no idea the specs on the one they were using, or whats usually used offshore, but im sure its more then 3, a lot more.

Its easy to lay blame, and say they cheaped out on equipment, but its a situation that nobody thought possible before now. BOP's dont fail. Or didn't, before this happened.

I worked on drilling rigs. I've worked on out of control wells. BOP's are your last line of defence, they ARE the back up plan. Noone could concieve that you'd need a backup plan for the backup plan that was already considered failsafe.
Always remember that we are dealing with primarily pencil pushers here that are doing good to change the oil in their bikes. They have no real experience with working on mechanical things and are mouthing off about things that they have zero practical experience with.

If BP can prove that was using the absolutely most expensive BOP ever made, will that get them off the hook? If they can prove that they followed absolutely every rule in the book, will that make this okay? I seriously doubt that you're going to find that BP was doing anything improper or out of the ordinary on a corporate level. If there is blame, it'll probably have to fall on someone that was on the platform itself. Some peon that was surfing the net when he should have been working, someone who didn't do his maintenance checks correctly, someone goofed off because it was too hot, too cold, raining, he was hungover, etc.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

If they can prove that they didn't cut corners anywhere (including emergency cleanup resources) I'll back off with my opinion. Until then I guess I'm off to be "lucky I change the oil in my bike and stuff"
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Apoc is right. My dad and grandad are 50+ yrs experienced on land wells. Smetimes shit happens and you deal no matter how badly you want to blame someone.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Apoc is right. My dad and grandad are 50+ yrs experienced on land wells. Smetimes shit happens and you deal no matter how badly you want to blame someone.
It isn't the scale of the operation or the difficulty thereof that is really driving a lot of the frustration. The same industy doing the drilling is also responsible for not allowing alternatives to really grab hold. They "caused" the spill to happen indirectly through action along other fronts.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-sp...g_test_of.html
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
My point is that the greatest amount of control is on the ground. Some suit sitting in an office somewhere has little to nothing to do with day to day maintenance... In fact, it's always been my experience that the working men spend a large percentage of their time trying to figure out ways AROUND the ridiculous safety measures that guys in suits dream up. The CEO of BP most likely has an ARMY of guys who's only job is to dream up regs and rules to make oil rigs safer.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
My point is that the greatest amount of control is on the ground. Some suit sitting in an office somewhere has little to nothing to do with day to day maintenance... In fact, it's always been my experience that the working men spend a large percentage of their time trying to figure out ways AROUND the ridiculous safety measures that guys in suits dream up. The CEO of BP most likely has an ARMY of guys who's only job is to dream up regs and rules to make oil rigs safer.
Not from what I heard the other night. They have the worst safety record from what they said. In the time frame they were talking about BP had 7XX accidents and Exxon had 1.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
It isn't the scale of the operation or the difficulty thereof that is really driving a lot of the frustration. The same industy doing the drilling is also responsible for not allowing alternatives to really grab hold. They "caused" the spill to happen indirectly through action along other fronts.
Ummm... Are the oil companies causing protests at nuclear power plants? Are they forcing you to use plastic? They make you take pleasure trips on your bike, snowmobile or in your car? The oil companies stopped drilling in safer dry land sites because they wanted to? The oil companies are keeping you, personally from going out and buying a bicycle, selling your vehicles, and using public transportation? Everyone is looking for a place to lay the blame, and sure it's easy for the crack head to blame the dealer, but is it really viable?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
The fact as Apoc stated is that this shouldn't have happened or it was a near impossibility. So unless you only walk to work and use solar everything, you really have no leg to stand on. It isn't like you don't buy oil/gas so you can blame BP for a spill that would only affect the enviroment (and not the availability of the product).

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 06-02-2010 at 07:43 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
The fact as Apoc stated is that this shouldn't have happened or it was a near impossibility. So unless you only walk to work and use solar everything, you really have no leg to stand on. It isn't like you don't buy oil/gas so you can blame BP for a spill that wouldn't only affect the enviroment (and not the availability of the product).
The Titanic was said to be unsinkable. That kind of thinking had cause people their lives. They need to be prepared for the worst. Having a plan in place and the gear to fix a problem like this just in case is way cheaper then what this is going to cost them.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote