Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-31-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
seems like good timing for the summer vacation season.

fucking hate big businesses manipulating the public to deepen their pockets.
totally ok for government to do it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Another opportunity to take steps away from oil.
to what? we arent allowed to do new nukes. wind and solar are thusfar a joke (and will always be limited due to their reactive nature) and B.O. made it damn clear hes not a fan of coal. not forgetting that oil is literally in everything we use, make and wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Maybe if BP had a clue how to stop oil from gushing into the Gulf people would be more receptive to their drilling.
maybe if those people hadnt forced them to drill in the fucking abyss they'd be able to shut it down.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Dave, it isn't "people" so much as it inertia of big money. People are sheep: they will take the path of least resistance. Gas-powered cars are there, so people drive them. If something else were just as easily and cheaply available, people would use that instead.

Large entities like oil companies had the monopoly on tranportation, power, heat, manufacturing, etc for so long that it's extremely difficult to change it.

Hell, try to buy something different from the things supported by the oil industry and you'll find that it's more expensive rather than less.

History has shown that it takes a Revolution to break free of a huge controlling entity. Problem is, for the first time that controlling entity is an industry rather than a government. How does one revolt againt that? You can boycot stuff but the oil industry is into just about everything so short of living in the stone age, it takes something big to MAKE the change happen.

Unfortunately, even this won't force change. Best it will do is shake things up for a while. But in the aftermath, maybe (just maybe) we will see some alternatives available.

Thing is, guess who will drive those different things in order to drive profits? The only group with the huge reserves of money available to fund such a change: Oil companies. That means that the next wave of "stuff" will most likely be only a marginal improvement from plain 'ol oil.

Baaaaaaah. Baaaaaaah.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Now that corporations are entities in the eyes of the supreme court, they vote with their money, which means they will be the government.

Change will take a revolution.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I think part of what Dave is saying, and I agree with, is that the tree huggers were the ones that forced the oil companies to drill beneath the ocean in the first place. Aren't there several other places on dry land, in this country, that contain oil but they aren't allowed to touch? I seem to remember a huge oil deposit being found in Utah (or somewhere like that) and the EPA won't let them drill. Of course, there's the deal in Alaska as well.... I'm no expert but I doubt that this would have been as big a problem in Anwr.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I think part of what Dave is saying, and I agree with, is that the tree huggers were the ones that forced the oil companies to drill beneath the ocean in the first place. Aren't there several other places on dry land, in this country, that contain oil but they aren't allowed to touch? I seem to remember a huge oil deposit being found in Utah (or somewhere like that) and the EPA won't let them drill. Of course, there's the deal in Alaska as well.... I'm no expert but I doubt that this would have been as big a problem in Anwr.
George Carlin said it best: "Not in MY backyard!"
out of sight out of mind.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #16
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Your right Amber. The top fill technique is a tried and true thing when done on land. Everywhere from West Texas to Saudi Arabia. And blow out preventers are simpler and work better when their controls are not cabled 5 miles from the unit.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Gas-powered cars are there, so people drive them. If something else were just as easily and cheaply available, people would use that instead.
i didnt say it was hard, i said it was impossible. the tech doesnt exist, its not even close. you ever see an ev1 on the street? i never did, it wouldnt make it here. i expect the leaf to be similarly pathetic.
TWF Post whore #6
Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i didnt say it was hard, i said it was impossible. the tech doesnt exist, its not even close. you ever see an ev1 on the street? i never did, it wouldnt make it here. i expect the leaf to be similarly pathetic.
Do you know WHY?? Exxon bought the battery technology. The EV1's were all lease only, and taken from their owners. They ALL wanted to buy them, and weren't allowed. The technology is there, it's just owned by the oil industry....

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
Digifox
Cl4p-Trap

Moto: Your mom.

Here's what we do.

Gather up all the oil company "leaders" and all the heads in Washington

Then we have a good ole' Lynching then we can Hanged bodies!
And that's how this revolution will happen
with A lot of rope
Old 05-31-2010, 12:11 PM   #20
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Do you know WHY?? Exxon bought the battery technology. The EV1's were all lease only, and taken from their owners. They ALL wanted to buy them, and weren't allowed. The technology is there, it's just owned by the oil industry....
i know exactly why. it had piss poor range, couldnt carry shit, and had limited charging options.
TWF Post whore #6

Last edited by Dave; 05-31-2010 at 12:22 PM..