Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #11
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Yeah, nevermind that the top 1% pays 40% of the taxes.
The government rarely lets facts get in the way of a good argument when discussing tax policy. If you listened to Obama during the campaign you would think the top 1% weren't paying any taxes. He didn't let the fact that the top 1% carry almost 40% of the individual tax burden (as you pointed out) stop his moral crusade against the rich.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

So the fact that the rich pay the majority of taxes proves there isn't any cheating going on?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
So the fact that the rich pay the majority of taxes proves there isn't any cheating going on?
Did someone actually say that?
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I bet a kazzilion dollars that more middle class people cheat on their taxes than rich people.

I bet another kazillion that more poor people cheat on their taxes than rich people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I bet a kazzilion dollars that more middle class people cheat on their taxes than rich people.

I bet another kazillion that more poor people cheat on their taxes than rich people.
There are more poor and middle-class people than rich people.

Difficult exercise, congratulations

But I would think that the PERCENTAGE who cheat would be more relevant, if you are trying to compare honesty levels.

Getting back to the subject, if you were the IRS, and the President told you to do a better job cracking down on tax evasion, who would you spend more time investigating, a middle-class tax evader, whose tax evasion only amounts to a few hundred or thousand dollars, or a rich person who you suspect has cheated in the millions?

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-14-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #16
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Single mothers in Seattle who are obviously liars....
Old 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #17
Sean
giggity

Quote:
Getting back to the subject, if you were the IRS, and the President told you to do a better job cracking down on tax evasion, who would you spend more time investigating, a middle-class tax evader, whose tax evasion only amounts to a few hundred or thousand dollars, or a rich person who you suspect has cheated in the millions?
I'd attempt to treat all people accused of a crime equally rather than targeting someone based on their financial status. Equal protection under the law, we haz it.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
As Sean posted, I never said that. Obama also, if my memory is correct, wasn't saying that rich tax cheats weren't paying their fair share. He was stating that the rich had too many tax breaks under Bush and it was going to come to an end. It was always "those making more than $250k per year" not "those making more than $250k per year and cheat on their taxes". It also ignores the fact that those making more than $250k per year pay around 50% of all the personal income taxes collected each year, even with the Bush tax cuts.

Quote:
Again, as Sean posted, I would go after all of them.

If you do feel the need to choose, a rich person potentially could have cheated for more, but it will be much more difficult, time consuming, and expensive to identify. If it is actually identified, rather than just pay the penalty, the rich person is much more likely to fight the charges. This brings the chances of a conviction down and drives the cost to convict and collect up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Equal protection under the law, we haz it.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
Homeslice
Elitist

"Equal protection under the law" is valid only as it relates to your rights after you're caught.......not as it relates to who the government chooses to investigate/snoop on. For example, the FBI and NSA don't eavesdrop on everyone equally.....They snoop on people who fit some kind of profile (are tied to a certain political group, make large bank transfers, make calls to certain countries, browse certain websites, etc.). And the TSA doesn't yank everyone out of the line for a pat-down.......They make their choice based on strange or nervous behavior. I guess perpetually nervous/furtive people could sue the TSA charging discrimination, that but I don't think that would get very far

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-14-2009 at 04:32 PM..
Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #20
Sean
giggity

My point was we should go after people because they're braking the law, not because they're wealthy and might provide more revenue to the government. When you turn law enforcement into a for-profit enterprise you open the door to all kinds of corruption. What was that Ohio town that ran itself on traffic tickets?