Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
You are correct Tigger street bikes seldom see the kind of abuse a race engine does and the OEMs have improved tolerances and metallurgy along with far better engine management to allow the 170 and 180 hp levels that are commmon in the liter bike class. However I dont know how much further they can push the powerlevel as titanium engine internals and valve acruation go thru such hi stress. Valve springs and retainers only take so much use even at a low stress street use and the we already have slipper thin pistons, hollow cams, , factory knife edged cranks and polishing...I feel if they do continue on that wew ill see a drop in reliability or at least higher maintenance requirements?!
Hmmm... maybe, but maintenance levels/requirements have dropped significantly over the last few years. Heck, my bike requires oil changes every 5,000 miles with the filter to be changed every other lof. Shit valve adjusts supposedly every 15-30,000 miles, I've never done one. I don't know bro, but reliability, at least with my bike, has not been an issue. If I'm not mistaken, the Yosh stage 2 mods don't even void the factory warranty!!! I'm pretty sure that the GSXR1000RR is covered by the factory.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
You are correct Tigger street bikes seldom see the kind of abuse a race engine does and the OEMs have improved tolerances and metallurgy along with far better engine management to allow the 170 and 180 hp levels that are commmon in the liter bike class. However I dont know how much further they can push the powerlevel as titanium engine internals and valve acruation go thru such hi stress. Valve springs and retainers only take so much use even at a low stress street use and the we already have slipper thin pistons, hollow cams, , factory knife edged cranks and polishing...I feel if they do continue on that wew ill see a drop in reliability or at least higher maintenance requirements?!
im with tigger on this one. I believe its currently possible to build that level of power at an oem reliability. I do not however believe that output could be made to pass euro 3, nor do i believe any oem would voluntarily build to those levels in our sue happy society
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
im with tigger on this one. I believe its currently possible to build that level of power at an oem reliability. I do not however believe that output could be made to pass euro 3, nor do i believe any oem would voluntarily build to those levels in our sue happy society

Ah you've got me there! I hadn't considered emissions! That's what I meant about it being un-ridable... some knucklehead would crash and try to sue Suzuki. Heck, I once rented my bike to a lawyer who used it against a knucklehead who lost part of his foot wheeling down a city street.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

You guys may be right, I just now how much volumetric efficiency and advances have been made. I mean look at an F18. Awesome performance but engine replaced every 1000 hours or so. Ragged edge tuning may not be so ragged edge for an OEM that makes 220 hp 800cc engines!?

Remember back when a literbike was a hoss at 119 hp? It has come a long way...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
You guys may be right, I just now how much volumetric efficiency and advances have been made. I mean look at an F18. Awesome performance but engine replaced every 1000 hours or so. Ragged edge tuning may not be so ragged edge for an OEM that makes 220 hp 800cc engines!?

I remember when my V-Max was "cock of the walk"!
Old 08-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Eventually they are going to hit a wall where they can't improve power without sacraficing reliability, its bound to happen eventually.

The way it wil work out is that a few years from now they are gonna pop out a liter bike that makes 200 whp, but after 10k mi a nice chunk of the bikes on the road are gonna blow their engines. Then the oem will fix the problem for a few years, but in their quest to keep up with the competition they will eventually build a weak engine.

Suzuki went through this cycle recently with the frame snapping issue, they did everything they could to shave weight until they created a major weak spot in the bike. Then they fixed it and now the weight is bellow that when they had frame problems. Eventually they just can't get rid of any more weight, unless they create some kind of anti gravity thingy.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #17
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Eventually they are going to hit a wall where they can't improve power without sacraficing reliability, its bound to happen eventually.

The way it wil work out is that a few years from now they are gonna pop out a liter bike that makes 200 whp, but after 10k mi a nice chunk of the bikes on the road are gonna blow their engines. Then the oem will fix the problem for a few years, but in their quest to keep up with the competition they will eventually build a weak engine.

Suzuki went through this cycle recently with the frame snapping issue, they did everything they could to shave weight until they created a major weak spot in the bike. Then they fixed it and now the weight is bellow that when they had frame problems. Eventually they just can't get rid of any more weight, unless they create some kind of anti gravity thingy.
the only place they really have left to gain powerwise is rpm. we already have solenoid driven velocity stacks and e throttles. next is going to be on the fly cam advancement and or some form of variable lift cam (i know already failed on vfr) and then pneumatic poppet valves. downsides besides added weight for parts are gonna be lighter more expensive internals. but maaan the first group to get it right...
TWF Post whore #6
Old 08-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #18
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
the only place they really have left to gain powerwise is rpm. we already have solenoid driven velocity stacks and e throttles. next is going to be on the fly cam advancement and or some form of variable lift cam (i know already failed on vfr) and then pneumatic poppet valves. downsides besides added weight for parts are gonna be lighter more expensive internals. but maaan the first group to get it right...
Direct cylinder fuel injection, an I 5 engine design, the list can go on for quite a while
Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #19
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I can't see me, in 10 years being able to ride a street bike for very long... with as track focused they've become in the last 5 years... I can't imagine how uncomfortable they'd be for even a 100 mile jaunt.

the numbers are impressive... but I don't see a point... but then again I'm not a racer. I would rather them focus on makine the bike more rider friendly, little more attention to safety... brighter headlights... tail lights, blinkers, and mirrors that aren't just after thoughts... guages that tell us more info... or has GPS built in... a sport tourer that is more sport than tourer... something with the comfort of a late 90's street bike but with the handeling, weight and power of a 08 or 09.

Idk... just my thoughts
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #20
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Direct cylinder fuel injection, an I 5 engine design, the list can go on for quite a while
i see direct injection tech as the saviour of the two stroke streetbike. air metering is a problem however. id assume that could be countered by a MAF layout and a fast ecu. then again there is the matter of the narrow powerband. perhaps some kind of twin chamber exhaust with a valve? who knows?
TWF Post whore #6