Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
They aren't install and forget, like many people treat their old tank unit. You'll need an annual service, especially when dealing with hard water, and a filter system wouldn't be a bad idea.
This as well, I can't get to the filter in mine. The previous owner must never have cleaned it, because the brass cover will NOT budge on mine. I have to cut the line coming into it, pull that piece out of the heater and replace it, and reinstall the supply line.

If you don't care about price so much, you can get an oil fired water heater. I had one in my previous house and I could not run out of hot water, I tried and failed.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I didn't read the replies..

I have one as a secondary unit in the summer. It's good for a nice steamy shower, but if I'm doing several things at once such as, laundry, shower, dishes it cannot keep up with the demand.

Also, if when you fluctuate or shut off the water pressure, you will get a blast of cold as they're not nearly as instaneous as I would like..
They're set to trigger at a minimum water pressure, so they cut off if there isn't a sufficient demand.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
They're set to trigger at a minimum water pressure, so they cut off if there isn't a sufficient demand.
But also, if you're running the hot, shut it off and turn it back on, there's going to be a slug of cold water in your hot water line before you get hot again.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
But also, if you're running the hot, shut it off and turn it back on, there's going to be a slug of cold water in your hot water line before you get hot again.
You are going to have cold water in your line with a tank and tank-less. I guess you could go hardcore and put electric heater elements around your pipes.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
You are going to have cold water in your line with a tank and tank-less. I guess you could go hardcore and put electric heater elements around your pipes.
It's not complicated, why is it so hard to understand? If you shut the tap momentarily with an inline, the heater has to start heating again. And it's not instantaneous. If you do it with a normal water heater, you don't get the section of cold unless you give the water time to cool down in the pipes.

It's not a life changer, but if you're running an inline water heater and turn the faucet on and off, it's going to be cold for a few seconds. A bit of cold water does go by the heater before the heating elements heat back up to temperature.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #16
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
It's not complicated, why is it so hard to understand? If you shut the tap momentarily with an inline, the heater has to start heating again. And it's not instantaneous. If you do it with a normal water heater, you don't get the section of cold unless you give the water time to cool down in the pipes.

It's not a life changer, but if you're running an inline water heater and turn the faucet on and off, it's going to be cold for a few seconds. A bit of cold water does go by the heater before the heating elements heat back up to temperature.
Not exactly, either heater will leave hot water in pipe AFTER the heater until it cools. What you said sounds like it gets cold instantly.

I know exactly what you are talking about, though it really isn't a big deal.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Or just have a recirculating system so you always have instant hot water. Only works with a tank system though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
What you said sounds like it gets cold instantly.
In Canadia, it does.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Not exactly, either heater will leave hot water in pipe AFTER the heater until it cools. What you said sounds like it gets cold instantly.

You guys are probably still talking about two different things. Even if there's hot water in the line downstream from a tankless heater, if you've let the elements cool down, you're gonna get a brief shot of cold water after that hot water goes through the faucet.

Not really an issue for my house, since even though I'm not in Canadia, my hot water lines seem to cool down in seconds.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:

No, I don't think you do. You guys are talking about two different scenarios:

First time you turn on hot water after an extended period of non-use, you will get cold water until hot water reaches the faucet you've opened for both styles of water heater. Advantage: neither

If you have hot water at the faucet, turn it off momentarily,then turn it back on:

Inline heater - you will have a "section" of water that passes the instantaneous water heater while it's inactive, resulting in:
Hot Hot Hot Hot Cold Cold Cold Hot Hot Hot Hot.... in your hot water pipe.

Water tank - you would have a consistent stream of hot water in your hot water line and there wouldn't be any "surprise" coming your way in a few seconds.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote