Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post

Zoomy, are you on a well or county water as well? or do you ONLY have tanks? Do you rely on rainwater? Or do you have a tank on a trailer that you run to fill up then dump in your tanks at the house?

The more I hear about your house the more I wanna come just to see it and your "estate"
ONLY tanks. No well and we are too far out for city water. We have 20,000 gallons of main storage with a 500 gallon pre-wash. That storage is triple filtered (paper filter, charcoal filter and UV light) with a pump to the house. I also have 1000 gallons of unfiltered that is gravity fed to the garden.

I can have water delivered - the services out here only charge for the diesel to have it delivered. They don't charge for the water. So, about 2,000 gallons are about $65.

We are putting in a pool after a wildfire scare earlier this year. That means not only a pool for us, but an added water source. Adding shade and wind turbines... http://bionovanaturalpools.com/

Speaking of estate, I have new neighbors that just moved in from California. I haven't met them. It's pretty rare out here to have someone stop by to say hello, with the gates and "Private Property" signs and all But, I got a call from our Constable one afternoon:

C: Hey, are you out shooting this afternoon?
Me: Yes.
C: You have a range, right?
Me: Yes, why?
C: You have new neighbors just South of you, right?
Me: Yes. Again, why?
C: [with a bit of a giggle] They just called 9-1-1 to report attack-like gunfire.

The funny part, it was just me, on my range with my 9. Just target practice BANG-TING
BANG-TING
BANG-TING

no rapid fire, no mass amounts of shots. Attack-like.

Sorry for all the OT, y'all drying out up North yet?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
C: You have new neighbors just South of you, right?
Me: Yes. Again, why?
C: [with a bit of a giggle] They just called 9-1-1 to report attack-like gunfire.
I think you and your new neighbors are going to get along fabulously! Cali folk are funny!
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

LOL, welcome to the country...

That natural pool thing is pretty cool, be interested to learn what you think after you have had it for awhile.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
CasterTroy

Quote:
ONLY tanks. No well and we are too far out for city water. We have 20,000 gallons of main storage with a 500 gallon pre-wash. That storage is triple filtered (paper filter, charcoal filter and UV light) with a pump to the house. I also have 1000 gallons of unfiltered that is gravity fed to the garden.

I'm going to rain harvesting seminars later this summer. That shit is HUGE in DC, and I designed the mechanical on a 12 story condo in DC back in 2007 (Square 54) which was LEED and used a green roof and greywater collection, but that was only used for landscape irrigation.

We're not suffering here, so no one wants to foot the bill for greywater and retention (YET) and with Colorado and other districts now making it illegal, or even TAXING rainwater collection, it's making it even harder to encourage harvesting.

I've told vendors we need some PE points and trying to get more participation thru our office.

As far as the pool......everyone HERE seems to be going saltwater I'm not a pool person so I don't know all the in's and outs and advantages. Of course...YOU couldn't do that and rely on the water for anything other than fire suppression without some sort of desalinization system...which...well would be stupid.

AWESOME estate Zoomy!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
:
As far as the pool......everyone HERE seems to be going saltwater I'm not a pool person so I don't know all the in's and outs and advantages. Of course...YOU couldn't do that and rely on the water for anything other than fire suppression without some sort of desalinization system...which...well would be stupid.
The salt that goes into a saltwater pool is the same shit you put in your water softener... In an emergency situation, if the pump wasn't working chlorine and salt levels should be reduced to the point of drinkability within a few days... I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure it could be done as a last resort.

Advantages are no more shocking the pool (unless somehow contaminated), the 'salt cell' which converts the salt into chlorine... Less harsh on the skin and all that. The disadvantage is it's another point of failure - cells are like $6-800 and if yours last 5 years you're doing really, really well. My pool was saltwater, but the cell took a shit and I just couldn't justify the cost when chlorine is so cheap and it really doesn't take much more to maintain.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
The salt that goes into a saltwater pool is the same shit you put in your water softener... In an emergency situation, if the pump wasn't working chlorine and salt levels should be reduced to the point of drinkability within a few days... I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure it could be done as a last resort.

Advantages are no more shocking the pool (unless somehow contaminated), the 'salt cell' which converts the salt into chlorine... Less harsh on the skin and all that. The disadvantage is it's another point of failure - cells are like $6-800 and if yours last 5 years you're doing really, really well. My pool was saltwater, but the cell took a shit and I just couldn't justify the cost when chlorine is so cheap and it really doesn't take much more to maintain.
The man reason for looking at BioNova is no need to shock. We travel enough that creating a pool that maintains itself is a huge deal.

Water here is precious. I would love to have those in the suburban world of rooftops understand how dumb their 3am sprinklers are.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Keeps coming down - brief reprieve today with the sun out but we're supposed to get more later. They've declared much of the area "disaster" areas.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Keeps coming down - brief reprieve today with the sun out but we're supposed to get more later. They've declared much of the area "disaster" areas.

I'm really glad y'all are ok.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:

I'm really glad y'all are ok.
Thankfully, I'm up on a hill so all I have to worry about is water running down from behind the house further up the yard. It's come into the basement windows but the French drain along the outside of the basement floor has been keeping up. Carpets got effed, however, but I can cope considering some folks lost their cars, their houses, and everything else they owned.

They have full time police presence in the area because of fucking looters (people SUCK). Apparently, people were going into destroyed houses and ripping out the copper pipes and shit. People continue to sink to new lows in my mind.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Thankfully, I'm up on a hill so all I have to worry about is water running down from behind the house further up the yard. It's come into the basement windows but the French drain along the outside of the basement floor has been keeping up. Carpets got effed, however, but I can cope considering some folks lost their cars, their houses, and everything else they owned.

They have full time police presence in the area because of fucking looters (people SUCK). Apparently, people were going into destroyed houses and ripping out the copper pipes and shit. People continue to sink to new lows in my mind.
Seriously? I mean, looting the TV is one thing. Taking their pipes is a whole new level of asshole.

Come Play at the Track!!