Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #181
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

We actually make a "glop" which is a bunch of raw veggies,eggs, yogurt, and a bit of molasses and freeze it. We have it sectioned out so its easy to just transfer a container of glop to the fridge to thaw before feeding.

I have beef and chicken sections separated into organs vs. Muscle so it's very easy to put a meal together for the dogs. We shop at the local Amish market so we get all fresh meat. We can get fresh duck and rabbit as well. It's fun to shop for the dogs as much as for us.

Lesson learned. Serve beef bones with marrow outside unless you want to mop the floor following feeding.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #182
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Are you guys running chest freezers or something?

I don't grocery shop more than once every 3 weeks. Simply don't hv time to do it more than that. Which is why I say I don't hv much time to dedicate towards something like this.

Let me give u another example. I don't have a free weekend at this point tt I'm not either working or priory engaged on till july. No joke. I have days off in there sometimes and have fun non working things as well. But when I tried to plan something today with my FIL it was insane to notice tt.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:48 AM   #183
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

I don't grocery shop more than once every 3 weeks. Simply don't hv time to do it more than that. Which is why I say I don't hv much time to dedicate towards something like this.
I understand what you're getting at.
When I was raw feeding Lilly, I found myself doing more shopping for her than for myself.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #184
VatorMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

Let me give u another example. I don't have a free weekend at this point tt I'm not either working or priory engaged on till july. No joke. I have days off in there sometimes and have fun non working things as well. But when I tried to plan something today with my FIL it was insane to notice tt.
We have a stand up freezer, but it's only wife and I so lots of room for doggie stuff. I do have to say we upgraded to a professional food processor to deal with larger portions. All in all, I guess we figured we spend about an hour making glop and an hour shopping for 4 weeks of food.
I was a serious skeptic until we found out we had a local dog food store that specialized in raw diet (store named Bark!). We bought some of the food they had there to try it on the dogs. I highly recommend you find a similar store-because we did find that one dog HATES lamb.

So you can buy pre made food, but it will cost you an arm and a leg. Very expensive.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #185
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

A freezer is almost a must for raw diet...otherwise you'd spend a ridiculous amount of time getting food ready. But with the freezer its a snap.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #186
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
I was a serious skeptic until we found out we had a local dog food store that specialized in raw diet (store named Bark!). We bought some of the food they had there to try it on the dogs. I highly recommend you find a similar store-because we did find that one dog HATES lamb.

So you can buy pre made food, but it will cost you an arm and a leg. Very expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
A freezer is almost a must for raw diet...otherwise you'd spend a ridiculous amount of time getting food ready. But with the freezer its a snap.
What these guys said.

You don't have to do it yourself but it will save you money. In my case, it's not worth my time.

I spend 0 hours per week on our dog's diet.

The local raw food retailer calls me on Sunday to ask if I need an order. If I say yes, it shows up at my door Monday afternoon pre-packaged in daily feeding sizes. They have a standing order and my CC on file.

I pull out 3 day's worth for the inside refridgerator and throw the rest in the freezer in the garage (normal fridge, beer in bottom, frozen junk in freezer).

It's as easy as kibble (actually easier because Science Diet doesn't deliver).

Of course I can afford this because my dog eats in a month what your hosses probably inhale at each sitting.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #187
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Do you guys know of any online particular company that does this I could order online from?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #188
asdgirl
Canyon Carver

Moto: 70cc Zuma

I have started my 2 Danes on raw finally. It's slow and they still get expensive kibble, but I wanted to introduce the raw to them first to make sure they could handle it.

I also decided to do it after getting my emaciated second Dane, Lexi. It was a perfect opportunity to start her on something GOOD compared to the damn Old Roy shit she was eating before.

Lexi just turned 3 and Andre just turned 5.

I started them off on turkey necks and we alternate between those and half chicken breasts without the skin for now (poop is not runny when taking the skin off).

Never had any throw up issues, choke issues, nothing.

They are both doing fantastic on it and I can see it is doing a lot for Lexi and isn't taking her as long to bulk up on raw than it did for Andre on kibble.

They also get raw egg (she gets all including shell, he gets just the egg as he refuses the shell), peanut butter, and some cheese and garlic powder.

Hadn't heard of the pat of butter thing. I'll try it as it is dry here lately and both have dry skin.

This month I will slowly be moving them to raw-only.
asdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #189
VatorMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Do you guys know of any online particular company that does this I could order online from?
Primal dog food.

Amazon actually carries it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...food&x=11&y=22

Nevermind- They all say unavailable.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #190
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Brinks has earned himself some possible allergies. They got him on meds, shampoo, wipes, and allergy pills. It's some hair infection on his chin with a secondary yeast infection over that. He also popped positive for yeast between his toes. So those get washed daily with med shampoo. Found some info on his breed that said it could be caused by a thyroid issue. Thinking of stopping by the vet for a blood work up.

I'm thinking if this may help. End the kibble, the meds, etc... when you factor, in those vet costs, and secondary bones to chew. I bet this may be cheaper.

I'm also thinking about contacting a organic farmer about getting chickens wholesale from them. Cheaper? What you guys paying now?

Then maybe picking up a cheap small fridge/freezer for this storage. That would allow me to keep frozen and use the fridge for thawing.

Again, how much should I expect to feed a 160# dog?

Also, lay out the plan for conversion and/or any tips.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote