Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you keep your service records?
Yes 14 38.89%
No 19 52.78%
Tater's ex-wife is a cum guzzling whore 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #171
dubbs
Multistrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

I look at the sticker in the upper left hand corner of my windshield to know when to change my oil.
I can't trust someone who doesn't give two shits about my car to do something that is so important to the life of the engine, that is so easy to do myself. Plus you know what quality parts you are putting in, verses whatever they use or if they even change the filter..

When I change my parent's oil for them after one of those shops do it, they torque the fucking filter and bolt down so much it makes it a big pain in the ass to change. Filters should be hand tight.. WTF?
Daily Driver - 2011 Toyota Prius - Black
Beater - 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Dust Colored
dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #172
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I do recall one story on the wera board where a guy bought a race bike and they claimed all this motor work was done. There was a problem withthe motor and it was pulled apart and it was bone stock, nonebof said work was ever done.
Exactly.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #173
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I had to jump in here because of the sheer stupidity above.

1. If you are buying a bike and you can't tell whether it has a slipper in it on the test ride, you deserve to be swindled.

2. My most recent bike purchase had a slipper, full ohlins, and about $10k worth of factory "kit" parts. I got exactly ZERO receipts with my purchase.

3. When I needed to verify the build done on the motor, guess what I did? I called the shop that did the work.

Not only did they not hang up, I spent about an hour on the phone with the engine builder. He went through everything that was done to the motor, everything that he did to other motors that season, tips to know and issues to look out for. This is one of the most renowned shops in the southeast, not some shade tree mechanic.

I can't believe that some of you would walk away from the deal I got or try to tell the seller that it wasn't worth what he wanted because he didn't have receipts.
I used the slipper clutch as an example. Just like I used a Dinan engine kit as an example. I could have said a totally rebuilt engine too. Point is, they're all just examples. And while you may be able to call and talk to a race shop who's willing to spend his time on the phone with you (because he's got nothing better to do), try doing that with the average dealership after being told "You can just call my dealer, he did all the maintenance"

Last edited by Homeslice; 06-16-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Old 06-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #174
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I used the slipper clutch as an example. Just like I used a Dinan engine kit as an example. I could have said a totally rebuilt engine too. Point is, they're all just examples. And while you may be able to call and talk to a race shop who's willing to spend his time on the phone with you (because he's got nothing better to do), try doing that with the average dealership after being told "You can just call my dealer, he did all the maintenance"
My local dealer's mechanic won't shut up once he gets on the phone.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #175
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
I have a 1997 Camry that has 235k miles on it. When I got the car, it had 165k miles on it. Do you really think I need to keep receipts for this car?

I have a 2009 V-strom. The warranty expired 2 months ago. I have no need for receipts on that vehicle either.
Until you try and sell it.

You guys think it's not important because none of the buyers you've had so far have seemed like they cared. But that doesn't prove nobody cares.

Pretty sure that Camry has a timing belt, right? If so, it would be scheduled for replacement every 75-90K miles. Meaning that when you bought it at 165K, it probably was due for its second replacement. It would certainly save you money and time if it had already been done. And if in fact that's what the owner told you, wouldn't you like to see some verification of it? Otherwise you are simply taking his word.

Same with clutches. If I'm looking at a car that old, and its clutch has recently been replaced, that's a potential advantage in my eyes. But if it can't be proven, it's not an advantage anymore.

Two different Camry's, same condition, same amount of miles.......If one can show that it's timing belt & clutch had been recently replaced, I'd be willing to pay $500 more for it.

Last edited by Homeslice; 06-16-2011 at 02:56 PM..
Old 06-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #176
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
My local dealer's mechanic won't shut up once he gets on the phone.
In my experience, most dealers won't put mechanics on the line -- that's what the service writers are for.

You might be able to call a service manager and give him the VIN and see if certain recalls had been taken care of, but for him to read off all the maintenance that has ever been done is probably not gonna be something he's willing to do. And that assumes his records even go back that far.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #177
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
In my experience, most dealers won't put mechanics on the line -- that's what the service writers are for.

You might be able to call a service manager and give him the VIN and see if certain recalls had been taken care of, but for him to read off all the maintenance that has ever been done is probably not gonna be something he's willing to do. And that assumes his records even go back that far.
Time to find a better dealer. Just sayin'.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #178
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
I have, I had a long discussion with a regular dealer that's not even local to me about my current bike before I bought it from it's previous owner.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #179
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Exactly.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was all documented work. He was shown paperwork. Buddy tears the engine open and sees the word "kit" written on his cams in marker which made him suspicious. Further investigation revealed everything to be stock.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #180
Homeslice
Elitist

So on the one hand, you guys are saying proof of maintenance isn't important, yet on the other hand you're saying you'd call a shop to find out if it's been maintained. Which is it?