Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you keep your service records?
Yes 14 38.89%
No 19 52.78%
Tater's ex-wife is a cum guzzling whore 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #161
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
The question was in general. Someone mods their bike, and it could be either themselves, or a shop, that did it. You don't know yet until you ask.

Take a BMW car for example. Let's say you're looking for one, and you know you'd install a Dinan kit on it if you bought one. Someone comes along who has a Dinan BMW, and has the receipt from the dealer who installed the kit.

Let's say the market value of that car is $20K.......and the Dinan kit normally costs $3K........So he lists the car for $22K saying that the Dinan kit makes it worth more than market. I might not agree with $22K, but I might be willing to pay $21K instead of $20K. Because now I've gotten a $3K Dinan kit for only $1K.
All of that can be done without a receipt. Your also getting away from your original point.

But looking at your new point you have to look at the parts installed. Think about the age of part. Is it a wear item? Brakes for example would be worth X amount of dollars new in the box but as the wear the value drops fast. If the upgrade included calipers then some value would remain but you would have to decide how much.

What if a kit was installed early on and the car is now 3 years old? Your $2000 worth of savings doesn't seem so good to me at that point. Why? Well if shocks are part of the kit they now have 3 years worth of wear and so do the other parts. Did the owner like to drive the car hard with his new mods? In my case I would rather try to get the stock car for under $20000 if I could and then get the brand new kit installed.

In my case maybe I get the car for $19000 and pay full price for the kit. Now I'm paying $1000 more but I have a car that may not have been driven hard, and I have brand new parts on it that might also have some improvements over the old design of the kit.

There are many ways to look at things.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #162
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
You can shut the fuck up and suck it too.
Rage much?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ComputerReaction14.jpg (40.5 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by LeeNetworX; 06-14-2011 at 07:47 PM..
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #163
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Rage much?
I eat innocent meat... I bash myself to sleep...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #164
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
If you say so. I say there's people in this thread just trying to find ways to justify their laziness and lack of organizational skills.

Just my $.02
I have a 1997 Camry that has 235k miles on it. When I got the car, it had 165k miles on it. Do you really think I need to keep receipts for this car?

I have a 2009 V-strom. The warranty expired 2 months ago. I have no need for receipts on that vehicle either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
No doubt with some people..

In my case, i don't do it for other people.. I have a simple text file on my PC with the date, mileage, bolt size, filter #, amount added, and viscosity so this way I have an easy cheat sheet when I need to go do an oil change or find out when I need to do one.
I look at the sticker in the upper left hand corner of my windshield to know when to change my oil.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #165
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Weak fucking sauce.

Sometimes I think you people just take the opposite side just to disagree.

You're gonna tell me if you put like lets say a slipper clutch in your bike, you would throw away the receipt? Somehow I think not. But ok, let's entertain that idea. Let's say 3 months later you lose your job and are forced to sell the bike. You know, unexpected things happen sometimes. So now all of a sudden you can't "run it into the ground" anymore. You've got to sell it, and you want a potential buyer to know that you upgraded it with a fairly desirable mod. 'Cept you can't because you threw away the receipt. Real intelligent.
Quote:
LOL if I owned that shop, I'd hang up and tell you to buzz off. Why would I waste my time looking up records for someone who wasn't even the customer.
I had to jump in here because of the sheer stupidity above.

1. If you are buying a bike and you can't tell whether it has a slipper in it on the test ride, you deserve to be swindled.

2. My most recent bike purchase had a slipper, full ohlins, and about $10k worth of factory "kit" parts. I got exactly ZERO receipts with my purchase.

3. When I needed to verify the build done on the motor, guess what I did? I called the shop that did the work.

Not only did they not hang up, I spent about an hour on the phone with the engine builder. He went through everything that was done to the motor, everything that he did to other motors that season, tips to know and issues to look out for. This is one of the most renowned shops in the southeast, not some shade tree mechanic.

I can't believe that some of you would walk away from the deal I got or try to tell the seller that it wasn't worth what he wanted because he didn't have receipts.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #166
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

I hope Roberto Luongo kept his receipts and contracts.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #167
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Doh, I think he wants to forget his stint as an islander
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #168
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
I literally just choked on my coffee

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #169
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
I have a 1997 Camry that has 235k miles on it. When I got the car, it had 165k miles on it. Do you really think I need to keep receipts for this car?
You have a point on this; I was definitely in the mindset of "vehicle was new when I purchased it" up until now. Haven't bought a used vehicle in a while so I failed to think about this.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #170
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I had to jump in here because of the sheer stupidity above.

1. If you are buying a bike and you can't tell whether it has a slipper in it on the test ride, you deserve to be swindled.

2. My most recent bike purchase had a slipper, full ohlins, and about $10k worth of factory "kit" parts. I got exactly ZERO receipts with my purchase.

3. When I needed to verify the build done on the motor, guess what I did? I called the shop that did the work.

Not only did they not hang up, I spent about an hour on the phone with the engine builder. He went through everything that was done to the motor, everything that he did to other motors that season, tips to know and issues to look out for. This is one of the most renowned shops in the southeast, not some shade tree mechanic.

I can't believe that some of you would walk away from the deal I got or try to tell the seller that it wasn't worth what he wanted because he didn't have receipts.
I do recall one story on the wera board where a guy bought a race bike and they claimed all this motor work was done. There was a problem withthe motor and it was pulled apart and it was bone stock, nonebof said work was ever done.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote