Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you keep your service records?
Yes 14 38.89%
No 19 52.78%
Tater's ex-wife is a cum guzzling whore 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #151
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
I think everyone is missing the fact that the example he used can easily be tested.. so long as you get cash up front for a nice test ride.. lol

Edit - And to answer the original question - no I still wouldn't have a receipt..
I wanted to focus on any part that can't be seen without removing parts.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #152
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Weak fucking sauce.

Sometimes I think you people just take the opposite side just to disagree.

You're gonna tell me if you put like lets say a slipper clutch in your bike, you would throw away the receipt? Somehow I think not. But ok, let's entertain that idea. Let's say 3 months later you lose your job and are forced to sell the bike. You know, unexpected things happen sometimes. So now all of a sudden you can't "run it into the ground" anymore. You've got to sell it, and you want a potential buyer to know that you upgraded it with a fairly desirable mod. 'Cept you can't because you threw away the receipt. Real intelligent.
Even withthe receipt I cant see the slipper adding a whole lot of value to the overall product, its jus tlike any other mod in that you wont get your money back. He would be better off taking it out and selling it separately
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #153
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Even withthe receipt I cant see the slipper adding a whole lot of value to the overall product, its jus tlike any other mod in that you wont get your money back. He would be better off taking it out and selling it separately
For me the mods pretty much lowered the value of the bike. Before I bought the R6 new (I miss that bike) I was looking used, as soon as I seen a list of mods I would move on to the next bike listed. Without knowing the bike/owner/who did the work I didn't want to touch the bike.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #154
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Disagree, I have seen plenty of bikes & cars "get more" because they were tastefully modded. If I know that I would have installed those same mods, then it's worth extra money because now I don't have to do so.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #155
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I have all kinds of room. Because I don't keep pointless shit lying around.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #156
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Disagree, I have seen plenty of bikes & cars "get more" because they were tastefully modded. If I know that I would have installed those same mods, then it's worth extra money because now I don't have to do so.
A slipper would scare me off buying a bike. I'd rather think it was stock. Something internal like that, it better be a damn good mechanic that you are buying the bike from if they did it themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #157
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I had the reciepts for my Yamaha Blaster from when my piston made my exhaust a Maracas. I think my wife tossed them not to long ago since I sold the quad a while ago. I didn't look at them much because I didn't want to know how much I spent repairing it.

When I sold the bike I didn't show give the new owner them or even show them. Once again I might have found out how much I spent. He didn't care about them or even ask for any. He looked the quad over, tested it out and took it for a run. When he came back he made an offer and was headed back home with it on his trailer.

James
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #158
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
A slipper would scare me off buying a bike. I'd rather think it was stock. Something internal like that, it better be a damn good mechanic that you are buying the bike from if they did it themselves.
The question was in general. Someone mods their bike, and it could be either themselves, or a shop, that did it. You don't know yet until you ask.

Take a BMW car for example. Let's say you're looking for one, and you know you'd install a Dinan kit on it if you bought one. Someone comes along who has a Dinan BMW, and has the receipt from the dealer who installed the kit.

Let's say the market value of that car is $20K.......and the Dinan kit normally costs $3K........So he lists the car for $22K saying that the Dinan kit makes it worth more than market. I might not agree with $22K, but I might be willing to pay $21K instead of $20K. Because now I've gotten a $3K Dinan kit for only $1K.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #159
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Thats what I said. Its worth what the buyer feels its worth. If it is in their price range, has mods they don't hate and they can't afford to do the mods they really want then it might be worth it to them.

A lot of people want to do it their way. I have a friend that was selling a CRX back in the day and he had some buyers walk because of some of his mods.

As far as internal mods go you could be hurting the value. Rims you can sell and replace. Finding out someone screwed up installing an internal part can end up being an expensive fix.

Receipts only matter to some.

Mods only matter to some.

If you like keeping receipts for yourself then do so. But don't be surprised that not everyone does so. And don't let the stack of papers in the fancy binder with plastic sleeves blind you. Look the car over before every getting glossy eyed over some fancy binder.

Even the most well kept car can break the day after you buy it.

James
Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #160
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I am seeing this more from the point of track bikes, many have tons of mods done to them, most are well maintained but the sellers arent getting anywhere near what thye put into them.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote