Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #121
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Engineering is a little different in the nuclear world in the USA. We get paid more than you non nuke folks, but we put up with a ton more paperwork. We are encouraged to whistle blow since TMI. This culture doesn't seem to be encouraged in Japan though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
If my understanding of the accident at Chernobyl is correct it serves as a good example. Yes, in order to save money, time, whatever that reactor didn't have a containment vessel designed to prevent the release of radiation in case of a meltdown (storing spent fuel rods outside the containment vessel at the Japanese reactors may prove to have been a similar mistake). In order for the lack of a containment vessel to become a problem though it took days worth of operational errors, terrible decision making, institutional arrogance, and terrible training compounding upon itself. Of course it is with the benefit of hindsight, but looking at a timeline of Chernobyl it seems as if one or two more good decisions at almost any point could have prevented the meltdown in the first place.
The major issue with Chernobyl was management direction to perform idiotic tests on the turbine/reactor that shouldn't have been performed.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #122
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The major issue with Chernobyl was management direction to perform idiotic tests on the turbine/reactor that shouldn't have been performed.
OK, and that is where I understood the poor decision making started. My understanding though is that this was compounded by a ton of other decisions which led to the eventual meltdown. In my, again, amateur view there were a number of points further along the chain of events where one or two better decisions could have also averted the meltdown.

As an example, from what I understand there was an unusual demand for power at the time when management had scheduled the test requiring the test to be delayed. By the time they could run the test the workers who had been trained to perform the test had been replaced by another shift. Instead of waiting for a time when the trained staff returned, management decided to run the the dangerous and unnecessary test with untrained staff. That untrained staff ended up making further mistakes that allowed the meltdown.

We both agree that if the management hadn't run the test in the first place there wouldn't have been a meltdown at that point. We probably both agree that using staff trained for the test would have significantly reduced the chances of a meltdown. While the decision to run the test may have been the root cause of the meltdown, it didn't guarantee one. The meltdown required further mistakes building on top of one another in order to happen.

I realize I'm couching a lot of what I say with qualifiers, but it is necessary since I am in no way qualified to make definitive statements about any of this.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #123
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
OK, and that is where I understood the poor decision making started. My understanding though is that this was compounded by a ton of other decisions which led to the eventual meltdown. In my, again, amateur view there were a number of points further along the chain of events where one or two better decisions could have also averted the meltdown.

As an example, from what I understand there was an unusual demand for power at the time when management had scheduled the test requiring the test to be delayed. By the time they could run the test the workers who had been trained to perform the test had been replaced by another shift. Instead of waiting for a time when the trained staff returned, management decided to run the the dangerous and unnecessary test with untrained staff. That untrained staff ended up making further mistakes that allowed the meltdown.

We both agree that if the management hadn't run the test in the first place there wouldn't have been a meltdown at that point. We probably both agree that using staff trained for the test would have significantly reduced the chances of a meltdown. While the decision to run the test may have been the root cause of the meltdown, it didn't guarantee one. The meltdown required further mistakes building on top of one another in order to happen.

I realize I'm couching a lot of what I say with qualifiers, but it is necessary since I am in no way qualified to make definitive statements about any of this.
There is always a chain of events and lessons learned beyond the root cause, but the root cause is management being douchers.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #124
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Great explanation of whats going on with the reactors.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2....html?ref=asia
Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #125
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Well the reactors aren't the only issue. The spent rod pools don't have any water.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #126
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Great explanation of whats going on with the reactors.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2....html?ref=asia
pretty neat graphic explanation

of course, I only know about as much as I learned in college physics and stuff

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #127
Trip
Hold mah beer!

We got a briefing today. There are a lot of wtf were they doing questions.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #128
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Things look extremely grim. Spent fuel pool of #4 is dry. This looks to be getting very very ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #129
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Things look extremely grim. Spent fuel pool of #4 is dry. This looks to be getting very very ugly.
It's been dry since yesterday.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #130
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post
It's been dry since yesterday.
I don't follow speculation. NRC reported it today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!