Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #111
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Is tin foil the fabric of this summer?

My Hotmail account is my main account. I only set up a Gmail account because Hotmail was down for a few hours a few years ago. So I don't get much sent there. Yes they would retain search info, thats just good business. What is it that you think they can do or will do?
I would rather have my info held by several companies rather than one. One good hack and all that shit's gone.

Today, I can get some pretty decent info on you without trying very hard. Imagine what it will be like in 10 years. The way people seem to not care about privacy anymore, I wouldn't doubt it if in the future I could read everything you've written everywhere, because all your past IP's have been linked and recorded, along with everything you've ever purchased, all your class transcripts, every medical procedure you've had, etc.

I just logged into my healthcare provider, and looked at my claim history.........They posted an incorrect diagnosis from a doctor. He wrote that I possibly had something, but couldn't be sure without further testing. And since I never had that testing done with him, he couldn't possibly have given me that diagnosis. Yet the insurance co put it online as a "diagnosis" anyway. So now I have to figure out how to correct that. Meanwhile if someone cracks into my account, they can see that.

Most of you are younger than me, so there are different attitudes I guess, but I just don't see why people don't care about privacy. As more time goes by, it's going to be harder and harder for you to get a job because they can dig up more and more dirt about you.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #112
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I'm not sure it's that people don't care about privacy, but rather that the ability to return any former privacy continues to be eroded by politicians and companies looking to remove it completely. Everything that we do now is a loss of privacy. I know that you worry about one company having all that info, but I think we're pretty much there. You start at Generic Local Bank with a basic account. You bank there for years until Large National Bank buys up your local bank. All of that information is now in their hands. They sell info to marketing companies for more profits. Privacy gone. You sign up for a cell phone plan. All of your information goes into their database. Demographic information is sold to the highest bidder. Privacy gone. People bitch to their local congressman/woman. They pass a bill that allows companies easier access to this information. Privacy gone. Department of Motor Vehicles allows public access to records unless you opt-out, but fail to tell people that this policy has been put in place and that there's an option to opt-out. Privacy gone. Everything that we need supplied with the caveat that we have to provide certain demographic information to obtain the goods and services, and that information is quickly sold to the highest bidder. The people who are supposed to protect us from that have sold us down the river for cash. Do we care? Of course, but we've reached a point where our options are increasingly limited to revolution, going off the grid, or trying to control what little private information we have left that isn't already sold off by those in higher positions than ourselves. It's sad, yes. Do I believe that not using facebook/google+/myspace would lessen the invasion of privacy? I think we've passed the point where those things matter, short of the people who are in your social circle.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #113
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I would rather have my info held by several companies rather than one. One good hack and all that shit's gone.

Today, I can get some pretty decent info on you without trying very hard. Imagine what it will be like in 10 years. The way people seem to not care about privacy anymore, I wouldn't doubt it if in the future I could read everything you've written everywhere, because all your past IP's have been linked and recorded, along with everything you've ever purchased, all your class transcripts, every medical procedure you've had, etc.

I just logged into my healthcare provider, and looked at my claim history.........They posted an incorrect diagnosis from a doctor. He wrote that I possibly had something, but couldn't be sure without further testing. And since I never had that testing done with him, he couldn't possibly have given me that diagnosis. Yet the insurance co put it online as a "diagnosis" anyway. So now I have to figure out how to correct that. Meanwhile if someone cracks into my account, they can see that.

Most of you are younger than me, so there are different attitudes I guess, but I just don't see why people don't care about privacy. As more time goes by, it's going to be harder and harder for you to get a job because they can dig up more and more dirt about you.

I try not to say anything online that I wouldn't say in person or want someone to know I said. So there shouldn't be any problem with that.

As far as one company having that info, if they all sell it then anyone can have all the info right now by buying it.

How old are you? I'm 36.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #114
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I'm not sure it's that people don't care about privacy, but rather that the ability to return any former privacy continues to be eroded by politicians and companies looking to remove it completely. Everything that we do now is a loss of privacy. I know that you worry about one company having all that info, but I think we're pretty much there. You start at Generic Local Bank with a basic account. You bank there for years until Large National Bank buys up your local bank. All of that information is now in their hands. They sell info to marketing companies for more profits. Privacy gone. You sign up for a cell phone plan. All of your information goes into their database. Demographic information is sold to the highest bidder. Privacy gone. People bitch to their local congressman/woman. They pass a bill that allows companies easier access to this information. Privacy gone. Department of Motor Vehicles allows public access to records unless you opt-out, but fail to tell people that this policy has been put in place and that there's an option to opt-out. Privacy gone. Everything that we need supplied with the caveat that we have to provide certain demographic information to obtain the goods and services, and that information is quickly sold to the highest bidder. The people who are supposed to protect us from that have sold us down the river for cash. Do we care? Of course, but we've reached a point where our options are increasingly limited to revolution, going off the grid, or trying to control what little private information we have left that isn't already sold off by those in higher positions than ourselves. It's sad, yes. Do I believe that not using facebook/google+/myspace would lessen the invasion of privacy? I think we've passed the point where those things matter, short of the people who are in your social circle.
This... it used to be stated on the slip of paper you got with your Social Security Card, that the number was not for identification purposes, and you were not supposed to give it out.

try to get ANYTHING done with out giving up that... and once they have that, it's easy to get EVERYTHING on you from just about anywhere.

I understand what you're point is Homeslice, I just don't think it's as big a threat as you might. one good hack and everything is in the wrong hands... but outside my SSN, location, and credit card info... the rest does them no good. I'm not saying I want everyone to have all my info save the ones I listed... I just think it's all info if asked, I don't hide anyways.

that is, of course, my view on MY life... people are entitled to their secrets... and nothing wrong with having them... I just find them hard to keep, especially when involving technology.

Last edited by Mr Lefty; 07-11-2011 at 07:33 AM..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #115
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Other then the SSN, location and CC number. What info are people worried about people having? The improper health record is a problem but that can happen before the internet so I don't feel its any bigger an issue now then before.

I don't care if people know where I shop or what underwear I buy. I don't care about people finding out what brand of eggs I buy.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #116
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I dunno I think that privacy has been an illusion for at least 2 decades. Worried about someone getting your medical history, they can look at your medical bills, where you go or travel, look at receipts from gas stations, what interested you, receipts from walmart. in fact you can buy a whole profile (not by specific person by name) of somebody including everything they bought, websites they visited (thanks comcast), basically anything about you from a few small companies. A little research to come up with even more stuff doesnt seem to far out of the realm of possibility.

And no, it doesnt bother me one bit
Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #117
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I dunno I think that privacy has been an illusion for at least 2 decades. Worried about someone getting your medical history, they can look at your medical bills, where you go or travel, look at receipts from gas stations, what interested you, receipts from walmart. in fact you can buy a whole profile (not by specific person by name) of somebody including everything they bought, websites they visited (thanks comcast), basically anything about you from a few small companies. A little research to come up with even more stuff doesnt seem to far out of the realm of possibility.

And no, it doesnt bother me one bit
Intelius, for example - pay a few bucks and you'll get address history, phone numbers, next of kin, background check... it may not all be accurate and 100% up to date, but it's there.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #118
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Intelius, for example - pay a few bucks and you'll get address history, phone numbers, next of kin, background check... it may not all be accurate and 100% up to date, but it's there.
Yep. Hell, even comcast probably knows more of your dirty secrets than you realized
Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #119
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Yeah, but they don't annoy me as much. A forum I use to visit would have threads with lots of posts and 90% of them would be plus uno. It annoyed me.
OffTopic?
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #120
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
OffTopic?
no, it was local
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote