Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #111
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

i recently picked up a g26 as my first pistol. only thing about the glocks in general is the grips are a little fat (doublestacked) and the backstrap to trigger distance is a little on the long side. aka if you have small hands you should def hold one first and make sure it works for you. they are very common but don't work for everyone.

i like the sigs a lot, feel great in the hands... if you're looking at a g26/27, consider a P239 in 9 or 40... a little bigger but easily concealable and a little more beef to it. You just then have to get used to the DA first pull and SA follow ups...
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #112
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
How far you from Dayton, Ohio Captain?
About 3 hours, normally, but will be in Cincinnati for 3 straight weeks coming up in another week. Why do you ask?
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #113
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

I'm going to re-bastardize the thread just a little since I went and renewed my permit today. DAMN they've gone up here in GA! It is now $65 for 5yrs, they do a full fingerprint and check just like it's your first time which is why the cost is up more than a little. When I renewed mine last, 5 yrs ago, I know it wasn't more than $25 and back then they didn't fingerprint unless it was your first time, they would just run a quick check to make sure you hadn't gotten any felonies in between. Still, it's not too bad and I don't mind doing it. The one plus to it now, since they fingerprint everyone, is it's all done at the probate court office. When I first got mine, I had to go to the probate office, get papers filled out, go to sheriff's office, get fingerprinted and papers filled out, then take them back to the probate office and turn in then go back a week later to pick up the permit at the probate office. They mail the permits now but could be 2 weeks. It's better than a lot of states still so I won't complain.

And back on topic, Capt you're going to right route, take your time and figure out what you really like and you'll be happy. Just so you know though, it won't be your last handgun most likely. They're a lot like mc gear, there's always something new and different coming out and you'll think "ooooo, shiny!" I know if I had the money I'd have a lot more than I do, just to have them

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #114
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
About 3 hours, normally, but will be in Cincinnati for 3 straight weeks coming up in another week. Why do you ask?
Just wondered. Vandalia are some nice folks and have a number of guns for rent. I drove over 2 hours to shoot ONE of their guns because I couldn't find it anywhere else to rent.

Although I'm sure you have plenty of places to go in your area.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 AM   #115
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I'm going to re-bastardize the thread just a little since I went and renewed my permit today. DAMN they've gone up here in GA! It is now $65 for 5yrs, ... When I renewed mine last, 5 yrs ago, I know it wasn't more than $25 and back then ...

And back on topic, Capt you're going to right route, take your time and figure out what you really like and you'll be happy. Just so you know though, it won't be your last handgun most likely. They're a lot like mc gear, there's always something new and different coming out and you'll think "ooooo, shiny!" I know if I had the money I'd have a lot more than I do, just to have them
That's the biggest reason I got a lifetime permit. I expect prices will be going up in the future, as well as the addition of more difficult processes. Since I'll have the lifetime, I won't have to deal with the hassle that I'm sure is to come in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Just wondered. Vandalia are some nice folks and have a number of guns for rent. I drove over 2 hours to shoot ONE of their guns because I couldn't find it anywhere else to rent.

Although I'm sure you have plenty of places to go in your area.
Excellent! They have several guns that I want to try out!! I'll be making that drive for sure. Looks like they also have a CCW class on a weekend I'll be there, too!

ETA: Looks like Target World, just north of Cinci, has a couple guns that Vandalia doesn't have. Will end up going there, too. Really wish someone had the S&W Tactical

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 01-12-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #116
Twobanger
Canyon Carver

With H&K I'd go with the P30 over the P2000 (the .40 version of the P30). Along with the sized backstraps, you also get side panels in different sizes so you can fully fit the gun to your hand. My HK45 has a very similar grip and is an improvement to the one on my P2000SK.

The Smith & Wesson M&P line has a very strong following on the LE/professional/serious shooter board I'm on, but mine is still on back order (special edition) so I can't give any first hand on them.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is ammo availability/price where you live. Around here since the election last year .45 is difficult to find and when you do its often 20.00+ for 50 fmj training/range. .40 Is 16.00/50. Last week I paid 7.99/50 for 9mm and can find it often enough for 10.00. At that kind of price point, the .40 and .45 stay in the safe and the 9mm gets the range use.
Twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #117
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobanger View Post
With H&K I'd go with the P30 over the P2000 (the .40 version of the P30). Along with the sized backstraps, you also get side panels in different sizes so you can fully fit the gun to your hand. My HK45 has a very similar grip and is an improvement to the one on my P2000SK.

The Smith & Wesson M&P line has a very strong following on the LE/professional/serious shooter board I'm on, but mine is still on back order (special edition) so I can't give any first hand on them.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is ammo availability/price where you live. Around here since the election last year .45 is difficult to find and when you do its often 20.00+ for 50 fmj training/range. .40 Is 16.00/50. Last week I paid 7.99/50 for 9mm and can find it often enough for 10.00. At that kind of price point, the .40 and .45 stay in the safe and the 9mm gets the range use.
I did also look briefly at ammo prices, but it was at Gander Mountain. .45 was nearly impossible to find. Both 9mm and .40 were about $25 for 50 rounds. I think I saw some at $17 for 50 rounds, but very little.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #118
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

yeah, ammo isn't cheap. but necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #119
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

I've had a few handguns...first was a Sig P226 .357 Sig / .40 S&W, then bought a Glock 17 3rd gen, next was a Springer 1911 A1 Mil Spec. After those I purchased a Taurus Raging Bull .44 Mag 6.5", now I have an XD 45 Compact.

IMO, I like the Glock type triggers, the Glock and XD, along with the 1911's. DAO, SA/DA triggers you can't be ham fisted.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #120
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Excellent! They have several guns that I want to try out!! I'll be making that drive for sure. Looks like they also have a CCW class on a weekend I'll be there, too!

ETA: Looks like Target World, just north of Cinci, has a couple guns that Vandalia doesn't have. Will end up going there, too. Really wish someone had the S&W Tactical
If you want to travel even farther in OH you can check out Black Wing. They have a million guns too and their range is awesome. They don't have a rental listing on their website, but just call and ask.

Let me know if you go to either, especially Black Wing. I'd make the drive there in a heart beat to meet up with you and to shoot.

Quote:
I did also look briefly at ammo prices, but it was at Gander Mountain. .45 was nearly impossible to find. Both 9mm and .40 were about $25 for 50 rounds. I think I saw some at $17 for 50 rounds, but very little.
That is expensive for 9mm, $25 for 50 round. Where they maybe hollow point? Around here they run about $10 for 50 rounds of FMJ.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote