Moto: Feet

My vette still has leaf springs.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #102
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
can we debate the superiority of IRS suspension vs live axle after this ?
The live axle isn't bad in a high HP application, as long as you control hop with ladder bars IME. Until I had ladders in the Chevelle, it was admittedly pretty fucking ugly, though. Changed the fucking car. Made it much nicer.

That said, the IRS on the C4 is just damn nice. You can see in my burnout where I let off as I pass between my truck and garage, and the Vette, which had begun drifting to the right, snaps instantly back into line, with almost no over-rotation whatsoever.

Handles really nice, has great feedback, and not a horrible steering wheel given the fact that it has a fucking bag in it. Like I said, other than the bit of typical convertible cowl shake over rough shit (which can actually get fucking scary sometimes), it's rather nicely behaved. I dare say that the coupe would have none of this bad behavioral trait, and must be dead linear.

...and yes, it has a fiberglass leaf spring in it.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #103
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
IRS ownz, live axle blows

the only time live axle might be superior is drag racing.
and drifting. though to parallel what avy is saying theres nothing wrong with irs. the nsx slides just great suspended on 10k/12k monotube coilovers. countersteer is a ton of fun though since the engine is out back and shes the "manly' version with the manual steering rack
TWF Post whore #6

Last edited by Dave; 06-14-2011 at 11:30 PM..
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #104
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
...if it had the Ford 302 kit in it from Monster Miata.
I like the LS based kits better, but to each their own.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 AM   #105
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
MOPAR guys. 727 disease. Ever notice there's a lot of auto MOPARS?

Don't know what it is with MOPAR guys, but they don't really seem to know how to shift their own gears. They should change the logo to a rainbow.
Manuals aren't even available on V6 Challengers. Which is funny because most companies put manuals in the basic or basic cars.

Quote:
I like this guy's concept:

What the Charger should have been. Two doors. They just used the Charger name to get sales by association with its roots. NOW, saying that... even though they are massively large vehicles, my buddy has an RT police edition, and the throaty V8 is pretty intoxicating. And comfortable to boot. Nothing like the 300C SRT8 I drove around in high school though... that was a monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
I'm gonna blame salesmen for that.

Went by Ford yesterday, want to test drive the new 8, they have NOTHING in stock at all. Told me he'd call me when they got some in, then asked if I had a preference on manual or auto. I asked him why exactly would I want a muscle car in automatic. Tells me thats by far what everyone wants. Maybe if the salesmen would explain to ppl that its sacrilege and they should be repeatedly run over by their own auto sportscar for getting it in auto it wouldnt be such a trend. But thats only my opinion.

I am still loving the looks and the interior feel of the Camaro best, if only I could get my hands on a decent one to test drive.
Chi I just was at the Ford dealer the other day testing a manual v6. Yeah yeah... the v6 . I would have never ever looked at a v6 until I got a ride in my boss' 2010 v6. He went ripping off and I had to look at him and say "this cant be the v6?". I can get into a lease for $210 a month, and it would save a ton of gas and ins. TONS of manual v8's around here though... I can't believe you're having trouble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Seriously, this is a pet peeve of mine. You fuckers aren't going to drive the cars like they "ARE MEANT TO BE" driven even with a fucking stick. Shut the fuck up. These people want these cars cause they like them. You are no fucking better. Shut the fuck up douchebags.
Are you on your period? It seems like you have been pms-ing since you got back. Did reality hit when you realized you had to deal with us fuckers again???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Well fuck all of you.
Well....... fuck you too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
You guys said it, thats it exactly. Thats what the new autos are lacking. They arent fun, push you into the seat, tear loose the back tires and GO kinda fun unless they are manual and you have the control over it.
I had a friend from the UK sum it up best when he visited the US. He said his rental car felt like driving in a video game. Turn the key, press the pedal and go. Just like pressing a button on a controller. No feel, no emotion. Just lazy disconnecion from the road. Whats funny is he doesnt even drive anything cool, just a very economical manual Mazda 2.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #106
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I had a friend from the UK sum it up best when he visited the US. He said his rental car felt like driving in a video game. Turn the key, press the pedal and go. Just like pressing a button on a controller. No feel, no emotion. Just lazy disconnecion from the road. Whats funny is he doesnt even drive anything cool, just a very economical manual Mazda 2.
Yet that Mazda 2 still has more road feel than 95% of anything America builds.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #107
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

My problem with everyone buying automatics (that includes DSG) is that it makes it harder for me to get a manual. Manufacturers build what sells and since manuals don't sell well here....I'm screwed. Fortunately there are still some sticks out there but fucking dealers never stock em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #108
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
My problem with everyone buying automatics (that includes DSG) is that it makes it harder for me to get a manual. Manufacturers build what sells and since manuals don't sell well here....I'm screwed. Fortunately there are still some sticks out there but fucking dealers never stock em.
Exactly. Therefore is it not in our best interest to try and influence others transmission decisions?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #109
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Are you on your period? It seems like you have been pms-ing since you got back. Did reality hit when you realized you had to deal with us fuckers again???

Douche...lol

Well we don't have the same driving culture as Europe. Apples and Oranges. Average buyer here wants pure transportation (not talking about play toys just average use), Euros have much better mass transit systems and they use it, so driving can be a pure hobby for them.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #110
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Yep

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote