Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #101
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Thanks! I'm sure I could've found it but that made it a lot quicker.
I'm sure you coulda found it too, but it was one of those things that got me thinking, and then my OCD took over and I had to know just to satisfy my own curiosity (and just in case I may need that option in the future).

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #102
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Still don't get what twitter does that facebook can't ??
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #103
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Nothing. Facebook>all.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #104
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I love the faces people make when they announce that their parents are on Facebook.

All I have to say to you Kell is
HAR-HAR!!!

(My mom is on Facebook but I don't do much besides post pictures so it's not really a biggee for me. My sisters on the other hand....I think they get their fair share of "talks")
My mother and father are on there. I also have some of my mothers friends on there. I post what I want to post. My mother will make comments about some of my dirty status up dates but she has heard me say worse so its not bad.

I know my brother blocked my mother from seeing some things but I can't remember what.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #105
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
From what I hear it doesn't do anything that Facebook can't. So I don't really see the point of it. I still having even looked at the Twitter site but from what I hear it seems like Facebook would be a full suspension mountian bike with disk brakes and so on. Twitter is like a unicycle with a flat tire and no pedals.

My sister uses both. She said she is on about 4 or 5 stars spots. One person she gets updates from is P Diddy. She also checks it on her Iphone.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #106
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Twitter OWN3D

Scientists warn of Twitter dangers

(CNN) -- Rapid-fire TV news bulletins or getting updates via social-networking tools such as Twitter could numb our sense of morality and make us indifferent to human suffering, scientists say.

New findings show that the streams of information provided by social networking sites are too fast for the brain's "moral compass" to process and could harm young people's emotional development.

Before the brain can fully digest the anguish and suffering of a story, it is being bombarded by the next news bulletin or the latest Twitter update, according to a University of Southern California study.

"If things are happening too fast, you may not ever fully experience emotions about other people's psychological states and that would have implications for your morality," said researcher Mary Helen Immordino-Yang.

The report, published next week in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Online Early Edition, studied how volunteers responded to real-life stories chosen to stimulate admiration for virtue or skill, or compassion for physical or social pain. iReport.com: Growing pains for Twitter, Facebook?

Brain scans showed humans can process and respond very quickly to signs of physical pain in others, but took longer to show admiration or compassion.

"For some kinds of thought, especially moral decision-making about other people's social and psychological situations, we need to allow for adequate time and refection," said Immordio-Yang.

She said the study raises questions about the emotional cost, particularly for young people, of heavy reliance on a torrent of news snippets delivered via TV and online feeds such as Twitter.

She said: "We need to understand how social experience shapes interactions between the body and mind, to produce citizens with a strong moral compass."

USC sociologist Manuel Castells said the study raised more concerns over fast-moving TV than the online environment.

"In a media culture in which violence and suffering becomes an endless show, be it in fiction or in infotainment, indifference to the vision of human suffering gradually sets in."

Research leader Antonio Damasio, director of USC's Brain and Creativity Institute, said the findings stressed the need for slower delivery of the news, and highlighted the importance of slow-burn emotions like admiration.

Damasio cited the example of U.S. President Barack Obama, who says he was inspired by his father, to show how admiration can be key to cultural success.

"We actually separate the good from the bad in great part thanks to the feeling of admiration. It's a deep physiological reaction that's very important to define our humanity."

Twitter, which allows users to swap messages and links of 140-characters or less, says on its Web site that it sees itself as a solution to information overload, rather than a cause of it.

This function, It says, "means you can step in and out of the flow of information as it suits you and it never queues up with increasing demand of your attention."
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #107
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Scientists warn of Twitter dangers
Attention scientists:

GET A FUCKING LIFE!

Seriously, don't you assholes have more important things to study? I couldn't care less about Twitter, where's my fucking warp drive?

JC
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #108
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Attention scientists:

GET A FUCKING LIFE!

Seriously, don't you assholes have more important things to study? I couldn't care less about Twitter, where's my fucking warp drive?

JC
Now we're talking.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #109
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I just found my mom on facebook. Never even knew she had one (and she has my best friend on her friends list! ) I don't have anything terribly er.. questionable on my profile. I can always censor her from my status updates.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #110
t-homo
WSB Champion

My mom was talking about getting facebook the other day. I might just not add her as a friend, set everything on private, and then tell her i deleted it.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote