Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #91
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
In regards to the buying a car and not using it as intended...there's a guy in town who special ordered a Shelby Mustang...the real deal mind you.

Why was it a special order you ask...? Because it's an effing AUTOMATIC!!!!! He had to special order to GET an AUTOMATIC.

And he doesnt even KNOW what he's got. He had money to blow, and thought it looked cool. Non driving, mechanically retarded dude who just wants it because it LOOKS cool.

I get pissed everytime I see that car driving around town. Usually because I'm PASSING it in my jeep or the hubby's truck, as it's going at or under the speed limit and I am just so angry that it's such a WASTE!

ARGHHHHHHH.

I've known a few of the vette guys who only took theirs to shows. As in, garaged, trailered with a cover everywhere and NEVER saw the road.

I'll just never understand that. Why spend the money on a vehicle you dont plan on using to its capabilities as best you can? If you've got the money to buy it in the first place just to let it sit around, arent chances good you can replace it when you rag it out??

Hmmm.... but I know several people whom won't ride their sport bikes hard on the street either. I don't know, for day to day driving, I don't see a problem with "cruising". I do agree with MP that it is silly to drag your sport car to the Gap to cruise around. Heck, I have a Mustang and I don't "hot rod" it everywhere I go but I do take it out to the back roads once in a while and let it run.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #92
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Hmmm.... but I know several people whom won't ride their sport bikes hard on the street either. I don't know, for day to day driving, I don't see a problem with "cruising". I do agree with MP that it is silly to drag your sport car to the Gap to cruise around. Heck, I have a Mustang and I don't "hot rod" it everywhere I go but I do take it out to the back roads once in a while and let it run.
Beat me too it. I was gonna say roughly the same thing.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #93
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
But is their reasoning because they dont want to mess it up? Or because they dont want to kill themselves?

I dont rail on the street on my bike, but mostly because I dont want to kill myself. I'm perfectly happy making the attempt at the track however. As far as not wanting to mess it up, my bike is scratched, has decent high mileage and I firmly believe dirt builds character...

When I had my Mustang GT I drove it like it should be driven, I wasnt afraid to "hot rod" it, I took care of her as required, but I didnt go out of my way to make sure I did the speed limit and baby it, and when a punk in a ricer felt he needed to show out, well, I am perfectly aware of how to use my emergency lights when I school punks.

I agree with the statement on buying something I can easily afford to use it like it deserves and is meant to be used tho, not buying something just to say "look at what I got" and worrying about scratches, dirt, dents, etc.

As much as I love some of the exotics, and at this point in time I could maybe consider getting one, I just dont want to waste money on something I KNOW I am going to want to tear up. Give me a good old GSXR any day, or a base model 4 wheel drive jeep. Eventually I'll get another muscle car, but I want something truly special when I do, and maybe at that point in time I'll understand the "sunday car" mentality.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #94
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
That's part of the problem.

example:

Some people see a Mercedes (or enter ANY luxury/sport car..or hell a house/boat..the list is long) as a status symbol...and do everything in their power to get credit approval for one. Despite living in a trailer park, working at Denny’s, when outside of home and work...and strolling down the street, observers don't have a clue this Mercedes driver can't rub 2 nickels together, but at THAT MOMENT in time, THEY are a superstar...or at least they THINK they are. Till it's time for the service on the car, and they freak at a $900 oil change (of course not just oil....other things as well, but roll with me here) so they either don't DO the service, or they offload the car, let it go back...whatever.

The same type example could be used for a supercar. Scrape and save every penny for that Audi A8....but God forbid it get a single scratch, because the budget is already stretched beyond thin to AFFORD that car, much less repair anything that may happen when actually railing it...or hell even buying TIRES for it.

Personally I'd rather buy a cheap bike/car and rail the piss out of it regularly, buying tires when I need to, gear as needed, and having leftover for trackdays and FUN, then sink every dime into a new S1000RR and not have enough at the end of the month to take it anywhere other than sonic
Absolutely agree

Quote:
This is what I also do/meant in my post. I didn't mean to imply that I run balls out everytime I get in the car or on the bike for that matter...that wouldn't even make good sense plus it obviously would rag the car out. I drive it normal...ok cruise in it most of the time...couldn't keep my license if I didn't BUT I'm not afraid to play in it either. Even a 'cruise' can turn in to spirited driving if need be. I keep the maintenance up on it and the bike partially for these very situations.

I just think it's lame if you buy a performance car or bike and NEVER let it perform that's all.

Oh and these 'high end' guys I described above...I don't mean they're high end because they own an AMG car or a Porsche...these guys live in 10,000 sq. foot homes with another nice home in the mountains...one at the beach...own several of these cars blah...blah...blah.

I just work there...but I know I'm lucky to have my job too.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #95
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

And I guess with the vette club I saw at the gap store it was their whole better than everyone attitude. I was surprised their ego could fit in this universe. Then the whole "crotch rocket" bashing really pissed me off.

Yes the vette is a bad ass car. I am not a big vette fan but I can respect they are a performance vehicle, etc. and not looking to debate what the best car(s) are or anything. But in the overall picture it's a fucking vette - it's not a ferrari, it's not a gt40, it's not a lambo, etc. The vette, like the mustang, is pretty much a common day sports car. It's affordable to most people whether you are a crack dealer in the hood or a middle class motherfucker in the burbs.

So you are going to put yourself on a pedestal because you own a vette and I, to the best of your knowledge based on little to no facts at that given time, don't or at least I was not in possession of one at that given time? Or perhaps in my motorcycle gear I appeared unworthy to even be in the presence of a vette. Ridiculous.

And obviously you have a fast car and right ahead of you is some optimum roads to let it breathe a bit. So excuse the fuck out of me for "assuming" you might bend the laws a bit as most of the sport bike riders do. And for god sake I apologize for trying to give you a heads up on a cop handing out tickets like candy in an unmarked car.

Next time I will smack the rotten washed up never has been nasty looked cottage cheese ass middle age bitch upside the head and piss in her fucking convertible vette and depending on my diet for the past couple of days I might even defecate on the seat.

Really I didn't care if they were using the vettes for what they were meant for I just really was trying to help fellow enthusiasts out.

Me personally I agree I buy stuff to use it for what it is made for and like someone said in one of the posts above I rail the shit out of everything I own. Not like I can take it with me when I die. It will get use and abuse, period. I am not into show cars or show bikes. I have nothing against it just not my thing.

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #96
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I don't really get the 'drive it like it should be driven' argument.

It's their money and they can do whatever they want with it, including buying a car they wanted and not "hot rodding" it.

Of course it's great when people drive stuff like it "should" be driven. But really....who cares?

I don't rail my bike on the streets because it's reckless and endangering myself and others all the time isn't really my thing. And I'd argue that very few people do rail their bikes like they "should be ridden" because last time I checked no one's last name on here is Spies or Rossi.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #97
z06boy
Letzroll

Everyone has their opinions...just get the fvck out of the left lane if you choose to cruise..thanks and have a good day.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #98
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Everyone has their opinions...just get the fvck out of the left lane if you choose to cruise..thanks and have a good day.
Don't even get me started on left lane sitters.

Railing or not....I'll run you down in my Mazda 3 if you're sitting in the left lane.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #99
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I don't really get the 'drive it like it should be driven' argument.

It's their money and they can do whatever they want with it, including buying a car they wanted and not "hot rodding" it.

Of course it's great when people drive stuff like it "should" be driven. But really....who cares?

I don't rail my bike on the streets because it's reckless and endangering myself and others all the time isn't really my thing. And I'd argue that very few people do rail their bikes like they "should be ridden" because last time I checked no one's last name on here is Spies or Rossi.
You are splitting hairs..

I think the point is why buy a special edition mustang and then drive it under the speed limit? Why not just buy a luxury car or a something more suitable to your driving habits? Like these motherfuckers I know that buy a F350 Heavy Duty truck and then they haul their push lawn mowers in it? WTF? Why in god's name do you need an F350? A fucking Japanese piece of shit truck will easily haul your stupid lawn mower..

But you are right - it's their money and who cares? I don't really it just defies logic, etc.

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #100
z06boy
Letzroll

I only responded here because I got defensive and didn't want to be lumped in to the no driving...slow left lane riding egotistical lard azz Vette owner stereotype...because I know I'm not.

Drive what you want...drive how you want...just gtfo of my way and if you roll up behind me I'll do the same.