Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 10-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #31
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther1000 View Post
You must have madd skilllz man! You ride Slicks in the freaking Rain! You da man!

Takeoffs don't have to be slicks, buddy. In fact I will likely never run slicks because then you're not supersport legal. Just run DOT's which have a little tread in the center and slick edges.

You can easily ride supersoft DOT race tires in the rain unless you're riding like a retard.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #32
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Well, hell, I had better qualify my statement about take offs so no one will misconstrue it or get bent outta shape. Anything black and round holding air can be used on the street. I was just referring to some guys who should have known better riding very aggressively on DOT take offs that were very used up and getting really poor traction. These guys were not noobs, were good riders, but should have either been using a sticky street tire or maybe even a new track day tire to get their literbikes hooked up. The take offs were way used up in terms of heat cycles and tread wear and did not perform up to the potential of my old worn out sport touring tires...OK back to the bitch slapping...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #33
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Depends... over time the oils in the rubber work their way to the surface and leave a blue tinge... doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the tire.

For example, if you do one trackday on a set of tires and then let them sit in your garage for a few months, they'll have that blue tinge on them... but they're perfectly fine.
Lil blue doesn't bother me. I'm talking about when the whole side is gummed and blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Well, hell, I had better qualify my statement about take offs so no one will misconstrue it or get bent outta shape. Anything black and round holding air can be used on the street. I was just referring to some guys who should have known better riding very aggressively on DOT take offs that were very used up and getting really poor traction. These guys were not noobs, were good riders, but should have either been using a sticky street tire or maybe even a new track day tire to get their literbikes hooked up. The take offs were way used up in terms of heat cycles and tread wear and did not perform up to the potential of my old worn out sport touring tires...OK back to the bitch slapping...
Much better wanning. Take-offs can be a god send for sum and the Apocalypse for those that don't know or understand how to read a used tire. Even if you understand, its still a gamble.