Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

I was with holding posting anymore info because I wasn't sure if anyone was interested in helping. Thanks for making this interesting. I wouldn't have posted here if I was not willing to take a verbal beating.

These are the entities I have

Employee
Customer
Project
Website
Application (probably taking this off the list)
Host (not sure if I need this with Vendor)
Vendor
Transaction

I have a rough draft of a data dictionary that I'm still making major changes to still. This project has been in the works for weeks. I can figure out the relations between the entities myself with a bit of thought. See, I feel I understand where I'm going with this, but I'm missing something blatantly obvious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Errrbody just slow down a second.....

njchopper87
What does a web design company do besides go out business within 2 years?
Web design companies interact with customers, find out business rules, construct site based on said rules, and potentially host it.

Quote:
How big does this have to be?
How many tables does your professor want you to create?

What the fuck is the scope of your project you lazy motherfucking slacker?
It is supposed to be a very small database. I understand this can be dragged out into many different entities, but he said to consolidate as much as possible. That said, what I have is enough entities. Whether they are the right ones or not is up for debate. The only restrictions he placed on tables is to try and avoid M:N.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
njchopper87
Bored

Quote:
Would you just look at this bullshit?

This jerkoff ask for help then just runs off, not posting a gatdamn thing as we try and help em out.
thats just f'n rude.

Ya gotta nod or something.
damn
Haha sorry.. I wasn't expecting such a fast response and was struggling to get caught up.

As far as companies getting ousted fast.. the only programming I plan to do is on the side for fun and extra cash. I already learned that it's not a very stable career field. I'm more interested in the hardware aspect of computers.. we'll see where that takes me.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
njchopper87
Bored

I guess to clarify more, what I really need is a basic understanding of the operations. From there I can figure out acceptable entities and attributes. I realized all too late that I should have chosen a different topic.. meh.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

First
review...
http://www.scribd.com/doc/439258/5-R...-Normalization

basic crap but should keep in mind

# Eliminate repeating groups: Make a separate table for each set of related attributes and give each table a primary key.
# Eliminate redundant data: If an attribute depends on only part of a multivalued key, remove it to a separate table.
# Eliminate columns not dependent on the key: If attributes do not contribute to a description of the key, remove them to a separate table.
# Isolate independent multiple relationships: No table may contain two or more 1:n or n:m relationships that are not directly related.
# Isolate semantically related multiple relationships: There may be practical constraints on information that justify separating logically related many-to-many relationships.

blah blah blah blah

anywhooze

What you are trying to do is pretty straight forward.

A few things

1. A website is a product
2. Microsoft has a "bookstore" sample you can reference.

a website is one of the products you sell as a part of a suite of products\packages.
you can sell a product that contains many sub products (just like a generic sales application).
One of those sub products could be a "hosting package" or a "support package", each with its own sublist of little things.

just thinking out loud to get you thinking (and maybe getting some others to toss out ideas.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT

...and social media component? This guy will help with that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1oRn...layer_embedded
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #16
njchopper87
Bored

Normalization is the next step that he's going to cover in class a couple days from now, but thank you. I can't really make out the words in that document. I don't think I have to worry though.. there's an entire chapter dedicated to it. Thanks for pointing out the microsoft site.

This is what he's having us do. Data Dictionary > Initial ERD > Normalization > Final ERD > Final Data Dictionary. Then there's the supporting documents.

I combined website and hosting package into one product table. I actually had it planned like that at first. I don't know what made me change my mind.

What you said helped a lot, I was able to walk myself through the process and I'm fairly confident in my data dictionary now. I also have a crude ERD drawn up. Done for today.. hopefully it still makes sense tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.. might have some more dumb questions later on yet. >.>
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #17
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

No problem. I barely even helped you. I was starting to feel guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote