Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzergirl View Post
I've always been partial to Arctic Cat gear...
me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Splain Lucy remember in the south we don't HAVE snowmobiles or the neat gear

You mean you have a heated shield? Friggin cool! That would rock on these cold/rainly days...how's that work?
dude, this thing is the freakin' best (though not "approved for road use"). It's basically a heating element around the outside of the shield that warms it and removes frost and fogging.

It comes with all the wiring.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
snobuny
Kneedragger

Moto: 01 kawa 600R, 03 636 track, yz250motard

check out www.snowest.com (powder room is the ladies section) or www.ladiesride.com for information on snowmobiling.

Modular helmets let you drink but they are only DOT approved not snell because there have been failures with the hinge depending on the brand.

If you are not going with a dirt helmet/goggle combo get the heated shield and an extra cord. Trust me, you will need it. If you ride with your street helmet and it does not have a double shield you will have frost/fogging issues. Either goggles or heated sheild are the way to go.

I wear klim gear but its pricey (took me years to purchase the set). Reima, FXR, and all the sled manufactures make good gear. Coldwave has had some issues with seams comming apart so I would stay away from that brand.

Get yourself some really good boots! RUoutside, HMK and Klim all make really good boots. I also had some Trukka's but after a couple seasons my feet would get wet.

If you are going to ride the back country a shovel, probe and beacon plus a backpack to carry them are a must. Try true adventure gear (www.tagear.us) for these things. I use the tracker beacon and they just came out with a new model (you might be able to get an older model for cheaper). Always wear you beacon on your body....it does no good in your sled (yes people have done this so it bears repeating) I check the batteries every trip and turn it on for the whole trip so I don't forget. FXR makes a pullover with a built in beacon but it will only send. You should also be able to find an avalanch class in your area which is also a must.

A tek vest, chest protector, body armour is also a good idea if you are gonna be boondocking..........saved me a trip to the hospital when I took a handlebar to the chest hard, I will never ride without one.

I think you just missed the snowmobile show in Washington but check snowest. Each year the shows give you great deals on anything for sleds so look for you local one!

pm me if you need any more info......I am going to try to get to oregon for the ladies ride this year..........maybe you could go also! (they also have a ride in Washington that might work well for you)

Last edited by snobuny; 10-20-2009 at 08:56 PM..
snobuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
julie j
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: F650GS & XT250

Thanks for all the info Snobuny. I will have to check out the sites you listed. We did make the expo and spent lots of money. We were able to attend an avalanche class although a would like to find a longer more intense one. We purchased Ortovox S1 beacons, and backpacks that have our shovels and probes. I know that my husband wants Klim gear and I am on the hunt for the best prices since he has no snow clothes. I at least have a snow jacket and bids that I can make do the first time or two. I will have to see how warm they really are. I would love to know more about the Washington ride!
julie j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Go old school...Carhart! I new a guy that spent a butt load of money on the newest, baddest and most accesorized sled of the season(Usually a new Mach 1 with all of the gadgets) who would only ever wear old carhart suits. Slid up on a $15,000 panty dropper in a ratty old brown set of bibs and hooded jacket...pure balls.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #15
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Bombardier Snowmobile modulars. Expensive, but far and away the best sled helmet on the market. And a few of them come in AC colors.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote