Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

View Poll Results: Who's the more physically athletic?
Track Stars 3 20.00%
Field Heros 7 46.67%
Tater's ex whore of a wife who is getting her fitness on with everyone horizontally 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #31
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Val would have to have a drink of champagne (as he is accustomed) and a smoke afterwards. His recovery time may not be that great. Jeff Gordon is definitely not going to out sprint Santonio Holmes let alone do so 40 times a game.

Santonio probably wouldn't recoup to well (or even think well during) after 5 hours strapped in a 150 degree car.

So I think, as a couple of you touched on, conditioning and what your used to would make a difference.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #32
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Val would have to have a drink of champagne (as he is accustomed) and a smoke afterwards. His recovery time may not be that great. Jeff Gordon is definitely not going to out sprint Santonio Holmes let alone do so 40 times a game.

Santonio probably wouldn't recoup to well (or even think well during) after 5 hours strapped in a 150 degree car.

So I think, as a couple of you touched on, conditioning and what your used to would make a difference.
I don't know I could see Santanio surviving it. Hell look at fatass Tony Stewart and some of the old timers in the truck/Busch Series. Santanio could hang with them in that type of conditioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #33
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I wonder how much that changes when you reach the level of WSBK/MotoGP though. The reason most of us regular track day riders get tired, IMO, is because of nerves. That takes a huge physical and mental toll.

In other words, I wonder how tired a pro racer would be after racing 40 minutes compared to a track day rider riding at their own limits for 40 minutes.
Yeah, I think how much something takes its toll on your body definitely depends on how often you do the activity, for sure. Not only for the nerves/mental aspect of it, but actually doing it, whatever it is, works up all the muscles and other parts that you just can't replicate in a workout or by being generally physically fit.

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #34
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Yeah, I think how much something takes its toll on your body definitely depends on how often you do the activity, for sure. Not only for the nerves/mental aspect of it, but actually doing it, whatever it is, works up all the muscles and other parts that you just can't replicate in a workout or by being generally physically fit.
You think muscle memory has anything to do with that? Or is it just that you don't have the mental effort to trigger and coordinate the muscles for each task? Crazy how a beat up late 30's NFL back can go just as hard and fast as a fresh 22 year old NCAA back...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #35
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I don't think there would be a difference. Take for example running a 100m dash. If you lined up a fat guy and a gold medal athlete and told them to go 100%, they are both going to put incredible physical stresses on their body, the athlete will recover faster and obiviously whip the fuck hell out of the fat guy, because of his conditioning though. As a gp rider would be ready to go again a lot faster and be done a lot sooner than a track day novice.
Agreed, both giving 100% will tire each person out. My point was more to compare the fatigue felt by track day riders and MotoGP/WSBK racers. I think we may be over-sympathizing for the pro racers of our sport, based on our riding experiences. Maybe.

Your comparison is perfect to make the point I originally tried to, that the fatigue experienced by a track day rider may not be indicative of a pro racer. And not just because of physical training.

You see, the fat guy giving 100% in the 100m dash will exhert himself, but he isn't going to be nervous/on edge the whole time he's running. Can't say the same for a track day rider, and I think that's where a lot of the "exhausted after 15-20 minute sessions" comes in.

In other words, I wonder how much of the fatigue we all feel comes from riding, and how much of it is nerves, which I doubt plays in much at the top levels and wouldn't apply to "field heroes".
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #36
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
In other words, I wonder how much of the fatigue we all feel comes from riding, and how much of it is nerves, which I doubt plays in much at the top levels and wouldn't apply to "field heroes".
Depends on what sport it is as well. I played lacrosse and the first few games and practices I played at full speed, I was hella nervous about getting hit with that little damn rubber ball at over 100mph. Football probably is the same way until after you get that one big hit and you either lose your nerves or just cant take it anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote