Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Physical activity is necessary for a kid to develop into something? Tell that to my HS valedictorian... You know, the kid who read books during recess, grew up to own multiple companies and become a multimillionaire before he turned 30.

I agree that kids need physical activity to be healthy, but the importance people put on organized sports in this country is INSANE... Like you can't learn teamwork, discipline, and humility elsewhere... You guys are talking about HS sports getting kids into college and providing a pathway to a better life in general, which is a fucking joke... I venture to guess there's a significantly higher percentage of kids who's pathway is determined by academic achievement. Further, with all the corruption in college sports, how many of those athletes get a high quality education? Because you know they don't all go on to be millionaire pro athletes...
That guy you're talking about, did he merely OWN companies, and hire people to lead them? If so, that's not really impressive. In order to actually lead a company, you need leadership skills, and someone who simply reads books after school isn't going to develop that. I'm not saying he needs to play football, but athletics of any kind (regardless if they are school-sponsored or not) are very effective at teaching kids confidence, self-control, assertiveness, time management, the ability to banter with someone without blowing a cork, the importance of putting yourself aside and working towards a team goal, and probably most importantly, how to motivate & encourage others.

Activities like marching band are great too, but personally I think they don't provide as many benefits.

People can get good grades and get into good colleges and then get good jobs because of that........But, will they become leaders of those companies? Will they have a good social life?

Personally, the most successful people I know are those who got good grades AND played sports.......They are great time managers / multi-taskers, and they know how to navigate the social / interpersonal world within an organization (i.e. grease the wheels)

Last edited by Homeslice; 09-16-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote