Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It's a good bike, with that many miles it's due a couple valve-checks, if you can get some reciepts for service that'd be a bonus. Also, I would take the bike to a shop and have them check it out, 11 years and 35k miles some things start to wear out. Also, first thing I do with a new bike is change the oil/fluids, you should too.

If I were you, and if you have the cash, I would give the motor and chassis a complete and very thorough tune-up, because 11 years is a long time, and 35k is a significant amount of miles. In this order of importance I would replace the brake fluid/pads on the front, motor tune-up (clean/synch carbs and new plugs), get the forks redone with new seals/oil, new steering head bearings, have the shock rebuilt, swingarm pivot bushings/bearings, and possibly some new wheel bearings too. If you have the extra cash I would recommend upgrading the suspension while you're at it, RaceTech makes very good re-valving kits for the GSXR about about $140 for the forks and $140 for the shock, and get a set of fork springs that are right for your weight.

I know it sounds like a lot, and it is, which is why I listed it in the order I would recommend doing it, but the difference in the feel and ride of the bike will be like night and day. If you do all that then the bike should ride like a brand new bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
To answer your question; I would do the above, as well as check two other things:

A. Compression test. No doubt you will have lost a bit, but what you are really looking for is the differential between cylinders; you don't want more than 10-12 psi difference between them. Any more than that and it indicates valve and/or ring issues.

B. I would replace the cam chain and tensioner on that motor, as flailing cam chains were about the only problems ever found on high-milage examples of those bikes and you really don't know the level of care it has received.

I would also have the current owner start the bike cold, with you standing off to the side/rear, and watch the exhaust. A blue puff on cold startup indicates oil is leaking down into the cylinder(s) while the bike sits. This is indicative of worn valve guides. Those are about the only things to watch for outside of the norm.
Thanks a ton guys. Without you I would be completely lost.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote