Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #18
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

if she's as bright as you're indicating (and that's not up for me to decide) - you're going to have to supplement at home no matter what grade. She's goign to learn faster than her peers, be bored regardless of what the school does and generally have a difficult time. Moving her up will not solve any of that. She'll still be in classrooms with kids who can't read and other kids who have behavioral issues. Because she's not a problem, she's likely to get ignored. The outcome of that will depend on her personality.
My vote - put her with her age peers. It might not matter much now but when she's 14/15, she'll have friends who start driving before her, start getting more freedoms than her, jobs before her, etc. And that may likely happen anyway if her 'peers' are older anyway. Fro a girl, it's FAR more important from a social point of view.
My vote is to keep her with age peers, lessen the social issues she's got the potential for later, and supplement either at home or with a learning center.

My #1 vote is for a private school. We went that route (2 highly capable children, top 1%) but we had a 'highly capable' school in our area. It spoiled me for public schools. As a sophomore in AP math in high school, my daughter has the same book she already did - in fifth grade private school.

Makes me want to cry.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote