Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S
Unhappy Sorry, another sad doggy thread. RIP

I got a phone call from my mother over the weekend... Hannah, (our 11 year old White Shepherd) shot past my mother and out the door to chase something. She ran into the road after whatever it was while an SUV was speeding down the road (rural area where speed limits disappear) and got hit.

The impact threw her completely across and quite a distance down the street. She apparently tried to get up and kept looking at my mother because she didn't understand why she couldn't move.

Unfortunately, I live 45 minutes away (she was my dog as well until I got married and moved further away where I rent a house which doesn't allow indoor pets). My sister and my mother's neighbor helped my mother get Hannah into the car and to the vet.

I got there just in time to hear the bad news: the impact severed Hannah's spinal chord half way down her back and she had no movement from her front legs back and was bleeding severely internally. She had no bowel sounds her back was severely broken. She was in shock as well so she wasn't yet feeling all the pain.

When we went into the exam room, Hannah kept looking around in confusion but she kept looking at me and my mother and I could tell she was starting to feel the pain. We made the horrible decision to put her down since the pain would have been enormous and, even if the internal bleeding were controlled, she most likely would not live through a back surgery to stabilize her spine. In addition, her quality of life would have been nill since half her body was paralyzed and, being 11 years old, her recovery would have been so long and painful that it was the only thing we could do for her.

My sister, mother, and I held her as the vet injected the overdose of sedative and she just faded away. I'd like to think she was comforted knowing we were all there for her.

She was the last dog my father raised (he passed away in 2001) so my mother is totally heartbroken.

Hannah was a very good dog, not a mean bone in her whole body. She was one big heart.

RIP

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote