Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR
Default Badwater Ultramarathon

A couple weeks ago I watched a special on TV about this race. I was in awe that these people would want to do participate in such a race. These people look so elite and crazy.

For those that don't know here is what Badwater Ultramarathon is in a nutshell:

Quote:
Recognized globally as "the world's toughest foot race," this legendary event pits up to 90 of the world's toughest athletes—runners, triathletes, adventure racers, and mountaineers—against one another and the elements. Covering 135 miles (217km) non-stop from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney, CA in temperatures up to 130F (55c), it is the most demanding and extreme running race offered anywhere on the planet.
A couple weeks after I watched this show I found out that a lady that works at the running store where I buy my shoes did this race! I knew she was an awesome lady but this is icing on the cake. She has done other 100 mile races, many marathons, ironman, etc... and she is good, always finishing up front!

She has never run Badwater until this year, she was the 2nd female overall and 9th to cross the finish line of men and women. Simply amazing! I'm going on Monday to the store to listen to her speak about her experience. In the mean time, she is running a 100 mile race this weekend. I would think one would need more than 2 weeks recovery, guess not her.

Connie is truly and inspiration to me and others, even if we never have the desire to do such a race. It makes me think if she can do this, I can make it through whatever it is I want to do.

http://www.badwater.com/ for more information.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

badass no doubt! The human body is truly amazing
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Ok, I'm into physical fitness and all, but screw that.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I went to hear her speak about this last night and was surprised. I thought she would have sugar coated it to some extend but nope. She highlighted both good and bad points of the event.

I had no idea how expensive it is either, $800 registration and the crew spent $120 on ice/water for her and themselves to keep hydrated and cool.

Was a great time to hear about it but I don't see myself ever doing something like this.

The 100 mile race she did this past weekend, 2 weeks after Badwater, she finished 2nd! Holy crap woman.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
I went to hear her speak about this last night and was surprised. I thought she would have sugar coated it to some extend but nope. She highlighted both good and bad points of the event.

I had no idea how expensive it is either, $800 registration and the crew spent $120 on ice/water for her and themselves to keep hydrated and cool.

Was a great time to hear about it but I don't see myself ever doing something like this.

The 100 mile race she did this past weekend, 2 weeks after Badwater, she finished 2nd! Holy crap woman.
Thats insane. People like that always amazed me. My cross country coach in high school used to compete in ironman triathlons (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and then a marathon-26.2 mile run), he was psychotic but holy shit was he in shape. I doubt I'll ever even run a marthon in my life, so these people are pretty impressive.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Niggaz be CRAZY!!!!

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

It is amazing but these people destroy their bodies for these ultra races. I also couldn't imagine how much muscle they use up in a 100+ mile run.

I'm happy with my sprint triathlons and would like to do an Olympic. I see no reason for me to go above that.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

If your body doesnt know any better, meaning its something your body is conditioned to, how could it be destroying your body?

Look at the folks who have no cars or bikes, they run and walk everywhere and often with less injuries than our celebrity athletes...I get irritated everytime I hear about some pro athlete who twisted his ankle, or tweaked his wrist. Blah. Grow a pair and deal.

I've got tons of respect for folks who can push the limits, I could never do something like these marathons, but its fascinating to hear about them. Lance Armstrong is a great example of the things real athletes go through and overcome. And with only one (testiclees)!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
If your body doesnt know any better, meaning its something your body is conditioned to, how could it be destroying your body?
It's well-known that after a certain (relatively short) time period, cardiovascular exercise starts consuming muscle tissue for fuel. You become catabolic pretty quickly. The basic rule of thumb is that in order to preserve as much muscle mass as possible, you shouldn't do more than 45 min. or so of cardio. It's the reason why many bodybuilders swear by HIIT for fat loss, instead of long periods of cardio.

Do some google image searches and compare the bodies of elite marathon runners to the bodies of elite sprinters. You'll see what I mean.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
It's well-known that after a certain (relatively short) time period, cardiovascular exercise starts consuming muscle tissue for fuel. You become catabolic pretty quickly. The basic rule of thumb is that in order to preserve as much muscle mass as possible, you shouldn't do more than 45 min. or so of cardio. It's the reason why many bodybuilders swear by HIIT for fat loss, instead of long periods of cardio.

Do some google image searches and compare the bodies of elite marathon runners to the bodies of elite sprinters. You'll see what I mean.
I get all that, but what Im wondering is, if you are conditioned to that all the time, like this lady who doesnt hesitate to run 100 miles every week or 2 weeks, with apparently little repercussion as to her ability to do so, since she is doing so, wouldnt that lend credence to the thought that the body can condition itself to do this?

Obviously there's alot of maintenance involved on her part I'm sure, eating right, drinking right and taking care of her body appropriately but isnt she proof that it can be done without losing all the muscle mass as previously suggested?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote