Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gun Thread (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=15842)

askmrjesus 01-07-2013 01:27 PM

I know a lot of ranges won't allow lead shot, for environmental reasons, but I've never heard of one restricting the size of the shot.

Odd.

JC

OneSickPsycho 01-07-2013 01:49 PM

Any of you guys have experience with add-on recoil pads?

50 rounds yesterday and I'm a little tender today... not a big deal at all, but for $30 or so, I figure why not. Especially when I'm already shopping for a sling and new bead sight.

Seems that the custom fit ones are all pretty comparable, but the slip-on ones are cheaper. Can't really find much on fitment with the slip-on ones... and other than aesthetics, don't seem to be much difference between custom fit and slip-on.

Twobanger 01-07-2013 02:43 PM

My Tromix saiga has an extra limbsaver on it. I don't think it makes a difference.

Trip 01-07-2013 02:44 PM

I got 4 M1A 20 rd springfield mags for $35 each today at a local dealer. The springfield version runs for $45 MSRP and the CMI ones run for $27 MSRP, seen them as low as $22. So I didn't make out too bad.

FINALLY GOT 308 ammo, I can actually shoot the damn gun finally.

OneSickPsycho 01-07-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twobanger (Post 525256)
My Tromix saiga has an extra limbsaver on it. I don't think it makes a difference.

Hmm... I've read nothing, but the complete opposite... and Limbsavers are supposed to be one of the best...

Adeptus_Minor 01-08-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 525258)
Hmm... I've read nothing, but the complete opposite... and Limbsavers are supposed to be one of the best...

I slipped a Limbsaver on my 91/30 and it helps quite a bit (compared to the metal buttplate digging into my shoulder)

Adeptus_Minor 01-08-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerscott (Post 525241)
Why no bird shot?

I was told that the spread of smaller shot causes damage to the target hangers, but that could be BS... not unlike the whole thing with FMJ ammo.

nhgunnut 01-08-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho (Post 525249)
Any of you guys have experience with add-on recoil pads?

50 rounds yesterday and I'm a little tender today... not a big deal at all, but for $30 or so, I figure why not. Especially when I'm already shopping for a sling and new bead sight.

Seems that the custom fit ones are all pretty comparable, but the slip-on ones are cheaper. Can't really find much on fitment with the slip-on ones... and other than aesthetics, don't seem to be much difference between custom fit and slip-on.

I am not sure what you are shooting , but I have found adjust the length of "Pull" Helps as much or more than a a pad. I added 1 inch to My 50 Beowulf and totally change the way it felt to shoot it.

OneSickPsycho 01-08-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhgunnut (Post 525268)
I am not sure what you are shooting , but I have found adjust the length of "Pull" Helps as much or more than a a pad. I added 1 inch to My 50 Beowulf and totally change the way it felt to shoot it.

I have a Mossberg 500... basic HD setup, 20" barrel, black and scary, 7 +1...

Like so:
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server29....1280.1280.jpg

It does feel a little cramped, but I figured that with my limited rifle/shotgun experience it was just unfamiliarity. Maybe I'll get one of the slip on pads and see how it goes... should add a little length and some shock absorbtion.

Turbo Ghost 01-08-2013 09:21 PM

My local indoor range has the same restriction on bird-shot. I hadn't thought about it till now but, I wonder if there's a greater (real or perceived) danger of ricochet off the target hangers with the smaller shot?

On a side-note, I !finally! got to shoot my new Taurus PT845! It shoots nicely! Unfortunately, the sights are off and the damn set-screw has loctite on it and I can't get it loose! I'm probably going to take it to my local gunsmith since he should have a bit higher-quality allen wrenches and possibly a jeweler's torch to soften it a bit. All my torches are too big!