Two Wheel Fix

Two Wheel Fix (http://www.twowheelfix.com/index.php)
-   Cage Hell (http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   What cars have you recently rented? (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=4238)

Homeslice 10-12-2011 02:32 PM

Had to google Jeep Patriot to learn what it was. When I saw that it uses the same chassis as a Dodge Caliber, it explained everything.

anthonyk 10-12-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Particle Man (Post 494194)
I've been stuck with 7 Malibu's over the past couple months while on business trips. It's a quiet and comfortable car, however, the thing is WAY under powered with the 4 cyl engine. The transmission just makes it worse: If you push it off the line, the thing will actually red-line and bounce off the limiter before before catching up and going to the next gear... Which is interesting because you're lucky if you're doing 3mph by that point :lol:

Just got one on this trip. I'll have to test that out. :lol:

Corey 10-12-2011 02:47 PM

This past weekend, my friend and I rented a late model Mercury Grand Marquis. This one had all the power options, leather, and whatever else. My review of it is slightly skewed, though. We drove a non-turbo diesel flatbed tow truck hauling a 9,000 pound wheel lift tow truck up to North Carolina from Florida preceding the rental, so anything that wasn't cramped, uncomfortable, and slow was a blessing.

That said, the seats were comfortable. The leather felt a little cheap, almost plasticy/synthetic. Power wasn't bad. There seemed to be some slight hesitation from hitting the throttle to actually responding. The steering was ridiculously floaty. It took more effort to stay in a lane than any car should have. The trunk was massive. It was easily in the tier where capacity is measured in dead bodies, rather than groceries. Not a horrible ride, especially after being stuck in a truck that literally took miles to reach 60 mph, but nothing I'd ever want to own.

anthonyk 10-12-2011 02:56 PM

I measure all my cars' trunks in bodies. Except the Mini I'm currently driving. That'd require using children, and that's a bit creepy.

I kind of miss the VW Jetta's 3-body trunk.

Corey 10-12-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 494307)
I measure all my cars' trunks in bodies. Except the Mini I'm currently driving. That'd require using children, and that's a bit creepy.

How about midgets? Less creepy, more festive.

anthonyk 10-12-2011 03:08 PM

Good call. It's definitely a 2-midget trunk.

HurricaneHeather 10-12-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 494307)

I think my Jettas had 4 body trunks. Loved it.

Particle Man 10-12-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 494301)
Just got one on this trip. I'll have to test that out. :lol:

That was supposed to read "30mph" but I think I'll leave it as-is... it's funnier that way :lol:

Gas Man 10-14-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 494206)
CVTs fucking suck. Can't say it enough.

I must agree.

Had a caliber one time on rental and it sucked so bad. I was never happier to rid myself of tt car.

I will add that I recently rented a dodge caravan crew for a drivers class at work. Omg how do they sell those things? Seats are the most uncomfortable pieces of shit board I've ever sat in. Maybe a slight notch better than a go-cart. In the third row there is NO foot room because you can't get your feet under the seat in front of u.
That class was 5 hours of seating torcher.

Cutty72 10-14-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 494527)
I must agree.

Had a caliber one time on rental and it sucked so bad. I was never happier to rid myself of tt car.

I will add that I recently rented a dodge caravan crew for a drivers class at work. Omg how do they sell those things? Seats are the most uncomfortable pieces of shit board I've ever sat in. Maybe a slight notch better than a go-cart. In the third row there is NO foot room because you can't get your feet under the seat in front of u.
That class was 5 hours of seating torcher.

We also have these as Gov vehicles. (Grand caravans I guess, same thing) I agree, the seats suck! Front 2 aren't bad, but any of the passenger seats are terrible. Does have decent power and we're seeing around 25 mpg average on them.

askmrjesus 10-14-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey (Post 494309)
How about midgets? Less creepy, more festive.

Exactly.

Nothing says, "great party", more than dead midgets.

JC

anthonyk 10-14-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askmrjesus (Post 494710)
Exactly.

Nothing says, "great party", more than dead midgets.

JC

In my experience, they're not all that talkative. But then, you move in some different circles.

askmrjesus 10-14-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 494711)
In my experience, they're not all that talkative. But then, you move in some different circles.

True.

By the time they get to me, you can't shut them up, "Hey, I can reach the sink now, I can change light bulbs!".

It's annoying, but what are you going to do?

JC

RACER X 10-23-2011 04:10 PM

Just turned in a mercury mkz

Meh was alrighht, overly boosted brakes and steering
Interior was quiet but the tires were noisy which transmitted a lot of road noise
Dash was decent
Heated seats were terrible heated up my knee pit, but not my butt or lower back

For a "luxury" car no gps or sunroof
Back seat fit 2 adults fine
Big trunk

TYEster 10-23-2011 05:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Orange Lamborghini Gallardo LP560...

*Rented* for 5 laps around the "short" course at Las Vegas MotorSpeedway.(wedding gift from my gal) Initial thoughts after driving a car NOT a Lamborghini, I totally understand where that money you spend on it goes. Sure it can't wheelie or stoppie, and AWD makes it a tad more difficult to do a burnout. But that thing sure can rocket around a track as quick as a literbike with a skilled rider. My only complaint( and this probably driver error) is that it tended to push a little into turns when coming in hot. But I was warned of that before selecting this car instead of a RWD car. But all I can say is Bucket List Item #52 has been checked off.

Hoping to return to Vegas for an Anniversary to do it all again.

RACER X 10-23-2011 05:25 PM

Saweeeeeet!

Particle Man 10-23-2011 07:54 PM

GMC Acadia.

Decent power
Very comfortable
Steering tuned for a parking lot rather than a highway though not too bad
Good audio system
Neat toys (backup camera, 3rd row seating, heated seats, rear moon roof)

Shitty mileage (got 15-17 hwy)

RACER X 10-29-2011 09:17 PM

toy corolla LE

very suprised and how nice it was, wasn't over the top, but it had everything you want or need, pw, pd, cruise, aux input

steering was fine
brakes a little overboosted but not bad
very quiet inside

perfect lil commuter car, alot better then the Mercury we had last week at prob. close to 2x the price of the corolla

Homeslice 10-29-2011 09:21 PM

^ I would certainly hope the corolla is nice, seeing how it's twice as big as it used to be

Gas Man 10-29-2011 09:34 PM

I hate you tye... pure jealous. What was the cost on that?

shmike 10-30-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 496964)

The Corolla?

About $125/wk. redflip

Gas Man 10-31-2011 08:59 AM

Oh yeah the corolla.. NOT!

TYEster 10-31-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 496964)

5 laps in the car at the track, $299? But we included it on our trip to Vegas, so the whole trip to and from the track plus accomodations was alot more.

Check out exoticsracing.com to see their WHOLE fleet. We only got certain car choices as apart of our trip packages but they have at least 10 diff models.

Gas Man 11-01-2011 09:11 PM

$300 isn't bad really.

TYEster 11-02-2011 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 497316)
$300 isn't bad really.

Not considering the initial cost of the vehicle($245k)... And since we were in Vegas, if you can get lucky at the tables, I would've put some more money down and driven the 458 Italia.

Ferraris aren't my thing at all, until I sat in that one. Which is another thing... What REALLY makes that a good deal is once you sign up to drive one, or even if you're there to watch, you can walk around and sit in what I estimated to be about $4 million dollars worth of exotic cars for the day. May not seem like something fun, but I probably wouldn't get to do this anywhere or any other time in my life. And it was awesome!

Homeslice 11-02-2011 11:06 AM

Yeah, last I checked, you would have to pay $2-3K to rent a car like that for a day on the street. Plus put some kind of huge deposit down.

Particle Man 11-02-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TYEster (Post 497347)
Not considering the initial cost of the vehicle($245k)... And since we were in Vegas, if you can get lucky at the tables, I would've put some more money down and driven the 458 Italia.

Ferraris aren't my thing at all, until I sat in that one. Which is another thing... What REALLY makes that a good deal is once you sign up to drive one, or even if you're there to watch, you can walk around and sit in what I estimated to be about $4 million dollars worth of exotic cars for the day. May not seem like something fun, but I probably wouldn't get to do this anywhere or any other time in my life. And it was awesome!

damn. And by "damn", I mean "DAAAAAYUM"

Smittie61984 11-03-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 497316)
$300 isn't bad really.

Yeah. It just means you have to bang 1 less hooker.

Corey 11-03-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smittie61984 (Post 497509)
Yeah. It just means you have to bang 1 less hooker.

That's asking a lot.

Gas Man 11-06-2011 09:28 PM

Tye that is AWESOME!

Homeslice 01-03-2012 01:18 PM

Ford Focus SEL

Ford deserves to be proud of this car. It is leagues better than the prior Focus, which was a boring POS imo. For one thing, it doesn't have any of the slab-sided, boxy styling that plagues most American economy cars like Cobalts, Avengers, Calibers, etc. The catfish grill might be a little overdone, but the rest of the body is excellent.

http://i42.tinypic.com/21m6zy8.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/29f2w50.jpg

This SEL version has a leather-wrapped steering wheel with a couple of awesome “bulges” at 10 and 2 o’clock, the way all steering wheels should. Like many Fords, there are adjustable LED mood lights for the footwells, map pockets, cupholder, and door releases. The windshield wipers are cool, because they sweep in opposite directions like a Mercedes. And like a good European car, the turn signals give 3 signals if you blip it for lane changes. The only shortcoming is that the basic seats don't have any lumbar adjustment, but there are better seats available.

The Microsoft “In-Sync” system is ok I guess, if you get off on such things. There is also a bigger system available called My Touch.

http://i40.tinypic.com/seung3.jpg

The climate control setup is very good --- It has dual climate zones first of all, and it doesn’t turn on the AC compressor unless you push the AC button, unlike some cars that try to make that decision for you.

http://i44.tinypic.com/e0h3lz.jpg

The steering is VERY good for an economy car. Firm, accurate, etc. Handling is very decent as well. The upcoming Focus ST will be even better. As far as ride quality goes, it’s decent over small bumps, but over larger bumps it bottoms out and sometimes forces the car to step out, revealing the economy origins of the setup.

The brakes are a little too abrupt and over-boosted, IMO.

The tranny is a 6-speed auto, which means good acceleration if you're flooring it, but if you’re just taking it easy, the first 3 gearchanges feel kind of confused & random. It also has a Sport mode which provides higher rpm shifts, and downshifts when you brake.

Overall, I see no point in buying a Fusion over this car. The only thing the Fusion does better is ride quality. I doubt if it offers much more room inside. Plus the Fusion's dashboard sucks IMO.

Cass 01-03-2012 04:15 PM

Chevy Malibu for a week.

Seats weren't terrible, though I'm pretty sure both front seats had assprints in them by the time we returned it. Pretty sure it had a 4banger in it, we were getting ~30mpg highway, with <200miles city driving mixed in. Plenty of room for my shortness and 2 tall male type people. Power ports front and rear so we didn't have to argue over who was charging what. Could've used a rear AC/vent thingie, but the child back there wears a coat all the time anyway, so it didn't REALLY matter.

Easy to drive, satellite radio subscription was still active, woohoo! There was a phone button on the rear view mirror, and it looked like it was set up for bluetooth, but I couldn't get it to pairing mode, and didn't care enough to get the book and find out. Boyfriend was NOT a fan of the soft blue lights that shine down on the center console area, but I liked them.

Saved me probably $100 or better in gas compared to my truck, and has a damn working radio :lol: (that's another story).

derf 01-03-2012 04:32 PM

Ford mustang for the week, will provide a writeup next week, but I will say the v8 has some big balls and it took a fairly tight on ramp starting at 40 and getting a little squirley around 80 when I roasted onto the highway

Homeslice 01-04-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 503283)
Ford mustang for the week, will provide a writeup next week, but I will say the v8 has some big balls and it took a fairly tight on ramp starting at 40 and getting a little squirley around 80 when I roasted onto the highway

You sure it was a V8? Seems like most rental places would only stock the base-model V6.

derf 01-04-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 503383)
You sure it was a V8? Seems like most rental places would only stock the base-model V6.

M beight the v6, but it's st least as powerful as the last model v8, if not more powerful

Sean 01-04-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cass (Post 503282)
Chevy Malibu for a week.

Seats weren't terrible, though I'm pretty sure both front seats had assprints in them by the time we returned it. Pretty sure it had a 4banger in it, we were getting ~30mpg highway, with <200miles city driving mixed in. Plenty of room for my shortness and 2 tall male type people. Power ports front and rear so we didn't have to argue over who was charging what. Could've used a rear AC/vent thingie, but the child back there wears a coat all the time anyway, so it didn't REALLY matter.

Easy to drive, satellite radio subscription was still active, woohoo! There was a phone button on the rear view mirror, and it looked like it was set up for bluetooth, but I couldn't get it to pairing mode, and didn't care enough to get the book and find out. Boyfriend was NOT a fan of the soft blue lights that shine down on the center console area, but I liked them.

Saved me probably $100 or better in gas compared to my truck, and has a damn working radio :lol: (that's another story).

I loved the Malibu I got. Small 4 banger + 6 speed with paddle shifters = fun!

Gas Man 01-05-2012 04:54 AM

The new v6 is more powerfull than the prev v8. My neighbor has one for his wife and it's real nice.

derf 01-05-2012 09:03 AM

I did a small burnout last night, now the car smells like burnt rubber

Cass 01-05-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 503423)
I loved the Malibu I got. Small 4 banger + 6 speed with paddle shifters = fun!

dammitsomuch, I got the wrong one :lol:

ours had a "manual mode" but the gear "shifter" was on the regular shifter... and was freaking broken. so it was just a plain-ol automatic

Cutty72 01-13-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 503383)

Many are stocking the GT model as well, for the "sports enthusiast".

I think Hertz has some special branded ones for awhile too.

Homeslice 01-13-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 503987)
Many are stocking the GT model as well, for the "sports enthusiast".

I think Hertz has some special branded ones for awhile too.

Yeah Hertz has their "Adrenaline Collection" (ghey)

I rented from them recently......Never again......I like to walk outside and pick my car, not have someone pick it for me and then make me walk back to ask for a different car if I don't like it.

EpyonXero 01-13-2012 09:06 PM

Rented a manual Chevy Optra in Chile last week for a couple of days. All they had were manuals so I had to re-learn how to drive a stick in a busy town which was interesting, I hadnt driven a stick since about 2002 and even then it wasnt regularly. The car itself was small and basic but I burned through two tanks of gas on mountain dirt roads and it took it all like a champ, I was impressed.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dg6NGkwIsq...optra-pic-.jpg

Gas Man 01-13-2012 11:05 PM

I'm picking up a rental tomry for business trip next week. Mid sized somin. I'm scared.

Gas Man 01-16-2012 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 503994)
I'm picking up a rental tomry for business trip next week. Mid sized somin. I'm scared.

Ended up with a 10k odo Challenger... of course a V-6

Attachment 9145

It's ok but with some flaws. Rides fine, about as well as any car in this price range. Will tell ya Tuesday what kind of gas milage I'm getting on the highway.

Made pittsburg in 4 hours doing 75 on a bit over a 1/2 a tank.

The front side door windows SUCK! It's another example of why doors without top frames suck. I can hear wind noise coming from the top rear corner of the drivers door window.

Then I drove it in rain... I can hear the rear wheel wells like it's a stripped down truck with no rear cab wall. SHITTY!!

I have to give it a thumbs down just on the cabin noise alone. I have had quieter eco box cars.

Homeslice 01-16-2012 09:13 PM

^ the other thing about base-model Dodges is that they LOOK like rental cars, because they are utterly devoid of any trim.

Gas Man 01-16-2012 09:34 PM

True. But it does have heated cloth seats! LOL

derf 01-16-2012 10:00 PM

Ford mustang v6:

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/8692/imag0956.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/1481/imag0957.jpg

Nice car overall, I wouldnt pay the amount of money that it costs, but its not a bad car. I got an average of 24 mpg over almost 600 miles (according to the cars MPG gauge).

The stuff that bothered me:
1. if you are gonna put accent lights inside the car, at least make them match. I counted 4 different color lights inside the car. WTF?
2.There is no back seat
3. The steering wheel almost feels disconnected while on the highway (more on this later)
4. The suspension feels like it is set for super comfort (its supposed to be a sports car)
5. Stupid frameless windows always bouncing around.

The stuff I liked:
1. Very comfortable fit my ass like a glove
2. Despite its need to flow across the highway (and I mean in any direction except straight) it cornered like it was on rails.
3. The V6 has more power than the last gen V8. I was able to light up the tires without a problem

Homeslice 01-16-2012 10:15 PM

^ there should be a control allowing you to change the color of the accent lights. At least there is in the Focus and the Fusion.

And I love the rear end of the new Mustang. They really improved it a lot. Too bad its hood and dash are still so high.

pauldun170 01-16-2012 10:28 PM

I think the Aceent light are adjustable, at least according to o insideline

derf 01-16-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 504098)
^ there should be a control allowing you to change the color of the accent lights. At least there is in the Focus and the Fusion.

And I love the rear end of the new Mustang. They really improved it a lot. Too bad its hood and dash are still so high.

I had the car a week, and played with every switch knob and dial I could find, and I couldn't see a way to change the color. The foot well was green, the gauges were either blue or white, the cup holders were blue and the radio was that awe-full digital aqua color that they love so much.

But yeh the styling is pretty bad ass. And the size of the hood wasn't a problem for me, but the rear windows were 100% useless, I couldn't see anything behind the massive blind spots

Gas Man 01-17-2012 09:15 AM

If you think the rear end of the 2012 is nice... wait till you see the 2013, they look amazing!!

You see derf's #5 and my complaignt on the Challenger is the same thing. They just suck.

Homeslice 01-17-2012 10:52 AM

On the Focus the switch is up near the sunroof

derf 01-17-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 504114)
If you think the rear end of the 2012 is nice... wait till you see the 2013, they look amazing!!

You see derf's #5 and my complaignt on the Challenger is the same thing. They just suck.

I kept grabbing the window to slam the door shut. I also opened and closed the door as fast as I could to try and beat the little quick slide thing that it does, I never did make it though. But if I put my arm on the window sill, the window separates from the frame and lets air blow through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 504131)
On the Focus the switch is up near the sunroof

Like I said I touched everything that looked like it could move

Homeslice 01-21-2012 03:46 PM

Chevy HHR
This car has always confused me. I've never understood why anyone under 70 would want something that looks like a 1940's milk truck. And the funny thing is, even with its high roof, it does not offer good visibility, because the thick body pillars cause a lot of blind spots, and the windshield doesn't go high enough.

http://i44.tinypic.com/54j0ba.jpg

The one I rented was manufactured only 15 months ago in October 2010, and yet there were dime-sized flakes of paint that had come off the front end for no apparent reason. :confused: Maybe GM sets aside their factory defects for the rental agencies?

It rides smoothly enough on the highway. But on city streets at lower speeds, it had a trucklike ride over bumps, with a hollow clunking sound that seems to plague most GM FWD cars, and makes it sound like something is loose in the suspension.

http://i41.tinypic.com/16gybub.jpg

The gauges were "ok" I guess, but the tach was too small. I guess they think that makes it look retro. :confused: But the worst thing about this car is the ACRES of hard plastic EVERYWHERE. It would take a whole BOTTLE of Armor-All to clean it every year. I guess since the car is so tall including the dash, they couldn't afford to use soft-touch materials.

Gas Man 01-24-2012 11:24 AM

Even though I had moocho problems with my HHR, they will still hold a special place for me...

And for being such a small vechicle/suv type thing...

this was a long dresser... we were able to close the rear hatch as well
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...TExMy5qcGc.jpg

a pair of storm doors for the house
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...AxNDkuanBn.jpg

Porkchop 01-24-2012 05:23 PM

My group rented an Impala while down in Miami. Had about 14,xxx on the odo. Idle seemed to be a tich high, and when you would apply throttle, the engine would bog down from the idle point with a grumble. It just didn't feel "right". Maybe it just needed some injector cleaner run through it. :idk:

Ride was smooth, steering was "grandpa car light", engine had good oomph for a v6. Interior trim level was middle of the road. Fake wood accents across the dash with nice looking black pleather. Seats were cloth. Back seat was big enough, and the trunk was massive. It felt very close to my old 02 Taurus.

VatorMan 01-31-2012 03:56 PM

Last year I rented a BMW 318i (diesel) while in Germany. The BEST seat warmers ever. Sorry for the blurry phone pics.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...202010/063.jpg

Fun on the autobahn.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...202010/094.jpg

Typical BMW-great seats and I finally figured out IDrive before it was time to leave. The proximity sensors were great as the roads and parking is really tight.

Great in snow too.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...202010/239.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...202010/226.jpg

Gas Man 06-01-2012 08:02 PM

Got a 2011 mustang 6 cylinder. 305hp but otherwise basic. Nice car and it does scoot pretty well.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...c/6e633191.jpg

Homeslice 06-01-2012 08:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This was a couple years ago......Either Dollar or National, at the Detroit airport...... They gave me the keys to this, and when I saw what it was, I walked back to make sure it wasn't an employee's car. I mean it was like 2 years old, and had an aftermarket stereo in it. :?: But, they told me it was fine, so I drove off in it.

The V6 was pretty decent, good torque..........Seats were very aggressive, nicely bolstered.......Gauges were good, climate control had a cool graphic of a person on it.........The exhaust was one of those fake dual systems.......Had a nice growl at idle, but became too loud above 70.

Homeslice 06-23-2012 03:56 PM

My car got T-boned a few days ago, and most likely totaled, so I've been driving a rental 2012 Impala LTZ. This thing is a barge, in the classic American tradition. Bigger than it needs to be, floaty on the highway, gets blown around by the wind due to soft shocks, and flat slippery seats that don't support. Reminds me of the old Caprice from the 90's. I didn't even think these types of cars existed anymore. Even a base Taurus handles better than this car.

I had to laugh at the 18 inch wheels that come with the LTZ "package". Why even bother with that overkill, when they're shod with cheap 50-series Eagle RSA's? :lol:

On the positive side, the drivetrain has a 300hp V6 with a 6-speed auto. This thing picks up and flies above 4000 rpm. And it sounds good doing so.

You can pick up one of these for cheap, so if interior space is your main priority, it could be a good deal. But handling better not be important to you.

LeeNetworX 06-23-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 514682)
My car got T-boned a few days ago, and most likely totaled, so I've been driving a rental 2012 Impala LTZ. This thing is a barge, in the classic American tradition. Bigger than it needs to be, floaty on the highway, gets blown around by the wind due to soft shocks, and flat slippery seats that don't support. Reminds me of the old Caprice from the 90's. I didn't even think these types of cars existed anymore. Even a base Taurus handles better than this car.

I had to laugh at the 18 inch wheels that come with the LTZ "package". Why even bother with that overkill, when they're shod with cheap 50-series Eagle RSA's? :lol:

On the positive side, the drivetrain has a 300hp V6 with a 6-speed auto. This thing picks up and flies above 4000 rpm. And it sounds good doing so.

You can pick up one of these for cheap, so if interior space is your main priority, it could be a good deal. But handling better not be important to you.

Since you made no mention of injuries should we assume you are OK?

Homeslice 06-23-2012 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 514692)
Since you made no mention of injuries should we assume you are OK?

yep, thanks for asking, car is not though, one of the control arms sheared off, so I can't see how it wouldn't be totalled.....

BTW that is her front bumper wedged into my wheel, lol

Homeslice 07-22-2012 03:37 PM

2011 Nissan Altima

I will try to keep this a fair review, as I'm sure some of you own Altimas.

I actually rented 2 of them, a four-door and a two-door. Both 2011 or 2012 (not the brand new 2013 that just came out).

The 2-door had 17" wheels instead of 16", and slightly sportier seats. Other than that, they were equipped the same.

First I'll start off by saying, I don't know why Nissan chooses to include the engine size in the model name. Like "2.5 S"........Like as if a 2.5 liter engine is impressive in a car this big. :lol:

The engine has OK torque, but it sounds thrashy and moany above 3K rpm. It's mated with a CVT tranny (there is no "traditional" automatic available). The only benefit of CVT's is that they eliminate jerky shifts........But in return, it feels like it's always slipping. :td: You floor it from a light, and it goes up to 5K or so and just hangs there, like as if it's slipping or something. :td:

I got about 29 mpg, but that was all highway.

Handling was average for a car of this class. There is good bodyroll control, probably via decent swaybars or springs, but the shocks allowed a little too much float for my preference. The ride quality is good and it's quiet, but bumps in the middle of a turn throw it off-course. The tires were the weakest spot......cheap Turanza all-seasons. But that's typical for rentals.

Biggest weakness of this car is the brakes.....They are WAY too touchy. :td:

After being started in the morning, and hitting ~30 mph after pulling out, there is a strange clunk from somewhere under the hood....:?: Maybe some kind of flap closing.

As for the interior:
- The 2-door is a good looking car, but has a HUGE blind spot. :td:
- Push button start is nice, but I didn't see a way to operate the accessories without the motor on. :scratch:
- Don't get the manual seats, there is no way to tilt the bottom cushion, so it offers no under-thigh support.
- The wiper stalk operates the opposite of the way it should. It's down to turn them on, unlike most cars where you pull it up to activate. Also, it can be easily hit by accident when you're using the radio.
- The fuel door release can be easily hit by your foot.
- There is no seatbelt chime, which is strange.

If price is a concern, and you find one for a couple thousand less than an Accord or Camry, I suppose it'd be a good deal, but otherwise I'd go Honda anytime.

LeeNetworX 07-24-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 516372)
2011 Nissan Altima

I will try to keep this a fair review, as I'm sure some of you own Altimas.

I actually rented 2 of them, a four-door and a two-door. Both 2011 or 2012 (not the brand new 2013 that just came out).

The 2-door had 17" wheels instead of 16", and slightly sportier seats. Other than that, they were equipped the same.

First I'll start off by saying, I don't know why Nissan chooses to include the engine size in the model name. Like "2.5 S"........Like as if a 2.5 liter engine is impressive in a car this big. :lol:

The engine has OK torque, but it sounds thrashy and moany above 3K rpm. It's mated with a CVT tranny (there is no "traditional" automatic available). The only benefit of CVT's is that they eliminate jerky shifts........But in return, it feels like it's always slipping. :td: You floor it from a light, and it goes up to 5K or so and just hangs there, like as if it's slipping or something. :td:

I got about 29 mpg, but that was all highway.

Handling was average for a car of this class. There is good bodyroll control, probably via decent swaybars or springs, but the shocks allowed a little too much float for my preference. The ride quality is good and it's quiet, but bumps in the middle of a turn throw it off-course. The tires were the weakest spot......cheap Turanza all-seasons. But that's typical for rentals.

Biggest weakness of this car is the brakes.....They are WAY too touchy. :td:

After being started in the morning, and hitting ~30 mph after pulling out, there is a strange clunk from somewhere under the hood....:?: Maybe some kind of flap closing.

As for the interior:
- The 2-door is a good looking car, but has a HUGE blind spot. :td:
- Push button start is nice, but I didn't see a way to operate the accessories without the motor on. :scratch:
- Don't get the manual seats, there is no way to tilt the bottom cushion, so it offers no under-thigh support.
- The wiper stalk operates the opposite of the way it should. It's down to turn them on, unlike most cars where you pull it up to activate. Also, it can be easily hit by accident when you're using the radio.
- The fuel door release can be easily hit by your foot.
- There is no seatbelt chime, which is strange.

If price is a concern, and you find one for a couple thousand less than an Accord or Camry, I suppose it'd be a good deal, but otherwise I'd go Honda anytime.

Having owned our 3.5SE V6 coupe w/ 6-speed manual for over 5 years now and also having rented a couple of the 2.5s like yours, I agree that the engine/tranny on those sucks bad. Our Altima drives and feels like a different car completely. Hate the 2.5s, love ours. If you ever get the chance, you should drive a V6 (stick preferrably) version to see for yourself.

shmike 07-24-2012 09:48 AM

I thought on every Japanese car you pulled down for wipers? :scratch:

Homeslice 07-24-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmike (Post 516495)
I thought on every Japanese car you pulled down for wipers? :scratch:

On my old Mazda you pushed down to get one wipe, but pushed it UP for one of the continuous cycles. And I think that's how every other car I've owned was.

Homeslice 07-24-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 516482)
Having owned our 3.5SE V6 coupe w/ 6-speed manual for over 5 years now and also having rented a couple of the 2.5s like yours, I agree that the engine/tranny on those sucks bad. Our Altima drives and feels like a different car completely. Hate the 2.5s, love ours. If you ever get the chance, you should drive a V6 (stick preferrably) version to see for yourself.

Problem is, rental lots usually won't bother getting the V6. I'm sure it's a lot nicer though.

LeeNetworX 07-24-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 516515)
Problem is, rental lots usually won't bother getting the V6. I'm sure it's a lot nicer though.

Was insinuating you may know or meet someone with one.

pauldun170 07-24-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 516557)
Was insinuating you may know or meet someone with one.

I hope Homeslice meets someone.
Someone special.

LeeNetworX 07-24-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 516559)
Someone special.

:lol

pauldun170 07-24-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeNetworX (Post 516589)

Care to show your appreciation?
http://twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21571

Homeslice 07-24-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 516559)
Someone special.

You volunteering? Thought you were married. Oh well that doesn't hold me back.

defector 07-24-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 516636)

I've never seen a ring plug a hole. Just sayin'. :lol:

pauldun170 07-24-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 516636)

pauldun170 07-24-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defector (Post 516645)
I've never seen a ring plug a hole. Just sayin'. :lol:

It would be like a weird kind of anal bearing

LeeNetworX 07-25-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 516590)
Care to show your appreciation?
http://twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=21571

Sorry - missed your window.

Homeslice 12-05-2012 01:29 PM

2012 Camry SE

Having paddle shifters was cool, and they worked well. But the rest of the interior was disappointing. Flat seats, and too much hard plastic. Somehow I remember the older Camrys as being nicer.

Had one of those "instantaneous MPG" needles on the dash. Wasted space - nobody pays attention to it. Trip mileage is what matters. Should have put an oil temp or pressure gauge there instead.

Road/tire noise was higher than expected.

Steering was too loose at high speeds. Can barely adjust the heater without drifting into the other lane.

Suspension too soft (typical Japanese).

goof2 03-10-2013 12:32 AM

So I ended up with a Prius for a rental from Hertz recently, still pretty new with just over 3000 miles. I only had an 80 mile round trip but being that it was in Los Angeles it took 4 hours not including stops, but that is another thread of hate.

What I liked:

1. The rearward visibility was great. That CRX style vertical section really helped.
2. The mileage was great too. Over the 80 miles I used less than 2 gallons of gas. I was driving slow enough that I could use electric only mode a decent amount so I'm sure that helped.
3 The radio was pretty good and stopped annoying me after I was able to get rid of the gas mileage trend line taking up the whole damn screen.

What I didn't like:

Everything else. I really hated this car. The interfaces between the driver and the vehicle generally sucked. The best of them all was the shifter which achieved not annoying me. The brakes had no feel and inconsistent response, I'm guessing due to regenerative braking. There was no appreciable difference in what the car did for the first 90% of travel in the accelerator pedal. The last 10% had a marginal improvement, but the car was still painfully underpowered. The steering felt completely disconnected from the car with no feedback and little self centering effect. I might as well have been steering through a Playstation controller. Droning along on a normal highway this probably wouldn't be that bad, but on LA's dogshit roads every pothole and road seam wanted to kick me in to another lane or the Jersey barrier.

Speaking of Playstation, there were multiple displays that would tell me exactly how efficient my driving was both at any moment and over time. The car would also tell me in real time when my driving style required the car to switch efficiency modes and where motive power was coming from. I guess all that kind of looked interesting for 5 minutes. After that I found it all to be useless distractions at a time when generally people are spending far to little time paying attention to what is happening outside their cars while they are driving.

I suppose I could say it is an appliance, like driving a toaster, except using a toaster doesn't annoy me. What really struck me is that the car seemed specifically designed to remove the driver from the process as much as possible, like the requirement to have an actual person behind the wheel was an impediment. In my view the Prius is ultimately a great candidate for the driverless car since I sure as hell didn't enjoy the job. For a point of comparison I find my 9 year old truck with 130k miles significantly more engaging and enjoyable to drive.

For those of you that own them I hope they do what you want, I just couldn't imagine buying one myself.

LeeNetworX 03-11-2013 08:35 AM

I rented an Explorer Limited 2 weeks ago on my last trip. Overall, I would say it's a good vehicle to rent, but would never buy one.

- I like the looks of the vehicle, inside and out
- Seats were comfortable
- Good power for a V6 and a decent feel to the ride

Dislikes:
- Blind spots...several of them, due to the high-positioned and low profile windows and thick pillars.
- Ergonomics of the controls. The SYNC system, while cool, is so user-unfriendly to me. Everything is a touch-sensitive button and is located and positioned oddly to me. If I have to start at the control console for 2-3 minutes to figure out how to adjust the AC temp, fan speed and circulation settings, ergonomics fail. And I don't care for the touch-sensitive buttons.
- Interior space. For a crossover with 3rd row seating, the usable space isn't even close to my Pilot.

Probably the biggest reason I would never buy this vehicle, or any Ford with SYNC, for that matter, is the fact that once the warranty is passed, God help you should anything break/need replacing that's tied into the system. It's all connected and I could just imagine ridiculous repair costs if the dash display went or AC controls broke or computer itself fried, etc.

goof2 03-14-2013 02:36 AM

Got a Ford C-Max SEL hybrid thought Hertz. They are either pretty new or completely forgettable since I didn't even know what the hell it was when I got in it. I had to check the tailgate at my first stop to figure it out. I thought it was actually pretty good. Don't get me wrong, the ride and driving experience didn't reach above quality economy car standards but that is still a massive improvement over the Prius. The Ford designers also didn't feel the same need Toyota did to tailor the driver interface toward beating a "Look at you, you're driving a hybrid! Great work champ!" message in to my head. The leather had a quality feel to it and it did have Sync, but a more basic version than what they put in the Explorer. I guess Hertz either didn't get or removed the GPS so people will pay for Neverlost instead.

There were a few things I didn't like. You already mentioned the Sync system Lee and I have to agree, it doesn't work very well. Even in the basic version in the C-Max with the AC separate I expect it would be a very expensive hassle if something goes wrong with it. The two small displays in the instrument cluster that are linked to it only add to the complexity and chance of a problem. Maybe the hardware will be reliable as hell and it will never be a problem, but that is a pretty big risk. The powertrain was a bit of an adjustment as well. This was the first time I drove a car with a CVT and I have to echo the comments of others, I didn't like it too much. It may be something I would get used to but in my short time with the C-Max I found it odd.

That being said if I were in the market for a hybrid I found the C-Max to be massively better than the Prius.

Homeslice 03-14-2013 02:47 AM

C-Max? Never heard of it till now. Looks like a Honda Fit ripoff.

pauldun170 03-14-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 527415)

Its been sold in Europe for years and they are just bringing it over with a hybrid drivetrain.

I'd rather a Mazda5 (if I were in the market for that class of car)

Gas Man 03-14-2013 10:33 PM

c-max is basically an over sized fiesta...

goof2 03-15-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Its been a while since I've been in a Fit, but the C-Max was noticeably bigger than what I remember the Fit being.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldun170 (Post 527421)
Its been sold in Europe for years and they are just bringing it over with a hybrid drivetrain.

I'd rather a Mazda5 (if I were in the market for that class of car)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gas Man (Post 527444)
c-max is basically an over sized fiesta...

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think the C-Max was great. Its just a hell of a lot better than the Prius. I think this kind of car is a bit silly and overpriced. I have no interest in either as my personal car.

Gas Man 03-17-2013 12:11 PM

Saying a car is better than prius isn't really a compliment.

Homeslice 03-17-2013 12:28 PM

Yeah the only hybrid I'd buy would be a Volt

Cutty72 03-17-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

My FIL works at a Ford dealership and recently gave me his card. All the models sold new are listed on it, and I saw the C-max, and asked what it was.
He laughed and said "the biggest piece of shit Ford has ever made".
Granted, he is an anti-technology and anti-small car guy, so that doesn't help.

goof2 03-18-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutty72 (Post 527479)
My FIL works at a Ford dealership and recently gave me his card. All the models sold new are listed on it, and I saw the C-max, and asked what it was.
He laughed and said "the biggest piece of shit Ford has ever made".
Granted, he is an anti-technology and anti-small car guy, so that doesn't help.

Your FIL is really selling Ford short, they have made WAY bigger pieces of shit than the C-Max. The previous generation Focus practically leaps to mind. I know some on here have had them and maybe the consumer versions are better, but the one I had as a rental for 6 weeks was pretty bad. In particular the NVH issues made it a miserable experience.

Cutty72 03-18-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 527496)
Your FIL is really selling Ford short, they have made WAY bigger pieces of shit than the C-Max. The previous generation Focus practically leaps to mind. I know some on here have had them and maybe the consumer versions are better, but the one I had as a rental for 6 weeks was pretty bad. In particular the NVH issues made it a miserable experience.

He just started there about 3 months ago, so experience is limited. :lol:

Homeslice 03-18-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goof2 (Post 527496)

The current Focus is awesome for its price range. Great steering, handling & interior for its class. But yes, the Focus before it was crap.

goof2 03-19-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeslice (Post 527498)
The current Focus is awesome for its price range. Great steering, handling & interior for its class. But yes, the Focus before it was crap.

I haven't driven a new Focus yet so I don't have a point of comparison. I had the one previous generation for 6 weeks, then 3 or 4 others for a day or two each. I found them generally crappy, but the NVH levels in particular were consistently so bad it really amazed me that the company signed off on that powertrain leaving the drawing board/test center.

Gas Man 03-21-2013 08:19 AM

I took the wife's Fiesta SES (5-speed manual) in to the shop for a recall and got a loaner base model Fiesta (6-speed dual clutch auto). And OMG the differences were huge. I couldn't stand the base model. It felt different, the motor performed differently, the handling, the lack of basic options like cruise (sure it had power windows/locks)... but just made it horrible to drive.

LeeNetworX 06-04-2013 03:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We rented an "intermediate SUV" for our FL vacation, since we will be putting on allot of miles and wanted to give the Pilot a break. Drove it down to South Florida on Saturday and heading to Key West in it tomorrow sans kids.

2013 Ford Escape SEL AWD w/2.0 EcoBoost turbo

After putting ~800 miles on it so far on and off the highway I find myself actually enjoying driving this car. The engine has balls and the AWD grips nicely. The leather seats are comfy and the controls are smartly placed but there is quite a bit of wind noise in the cabin at highway speed.

The SYNC system isn't the full-blown version like what was in the Explorer SEL I rented for a work trip a couple of months back. It has the main LCD panel in the dash with the climate controls right under it, with normal push buttons. The gauge cluster is all analog except for a small LCD screen high center that shows some useful info like distance to E, tripometer/odometer, average fuel consumption, etc.

Passenger room, including leg room is comfy both front and back seats but the storage space in back is tiny. We had to pack in a very minimalist fashion for 2 adults, 2 kids and plus we shoved two small dogs in back.

Fuel economy isn't all that impressive - on the highway @80mph average we got 22mpg. Still beats the Pilot though.

Overall, it's not a bad car at all - definitely one of the more enjoyable rentals I've had. And the more I stomp on it when it's just me in the car and neither of the boys the more I like it.

Sixxxxer 06-04-2013 08:48 PM

Ford is putting an Ecoboost in damn near everthing

LeeNetworX 06-04-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 529817)
Ford is putting an Ecoboost in damn near everthing

I'm pretty impressed with it; no noticeable lag no matter the RPM range or gear I'm in when accelerating hard.

Sixxxxer 06-04-2013 10:18 PM

Ford Focus ST...Great Little Hatch.

Homeslice 06-05-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixxxxer (Post 529822)
Ford Focus ST...Great Little Hatch.

The dual-colored Recaros were a dumb move for Ford.....Pretty much limits it to age 25 and under

Sixxxxer 06-05-2013 08:39 PM

If you say so?

I like them...and I'm 27

Guess your Logic is a few years off. Cars an absolute blast to drive...Seats wouldnt sway me from buying a car I liked.

My dad even likes it...Alot actually and he is 58.

Homeslice 06-05-2013 10:16 PM

Yeah, black and yellow seats.......Might be ok in a Lamborghini, but in an econo hatchback it just screams rice.

Your dad might like it for the first couple months, but after that he'd be like mmkay, I'm getting a little tired of this gaudy shit

goof2 06-05-2013 11:19 PM

I don't think you have to get the black and yellow Recaros. According to Ford's website all black is available as well.